Skip to main content
Topic: Feeler for my Cougar (Read 1183 times) previous topic - next topic

Feeler for my Cougar

Yeah, I'm thinking about selling the 85 Cougar XR7. I got it about 2-3 years ago and have been working on it off and on but don't have money to pour into something that doesn't run. I am thinking about getting into something that drives so I am thinking I should see if anyone is interested first.

As previously stated its a 1985 Cougar XR7, engine was pulled recently and sold transmission is still in the shop. I had planned to go V8 T-5 but it never happened. Its fairly solid other than the rear quarter panels behind the tires there is a hole on each side that needs patches welded in. Its a 86K mile car and before I had it it had sat in a guy's garage for about 5 years. I really don't want to sell it but I need to stop dreaming and let someone else have a chance at it. Its a good car but I just don't make enough to build my 302 up, buy a trans, do body work etc.

I am located in Tripoli, Iowa. Not really sure what its worth but was thinking $500, I have a spare trunklid, hood, 302(Disassembled), 2 extra 8 hole wheels.

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #1
Should've kept the 2.3T in it.:poke:
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #2
Well its obvious this is a complete flop....

Jangus: FYI I think you need to reread the rules of the "for sale" section again. Pay close attention to #9 ;)

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #3
I'm going to be honest here, I need this thing gone. I am looking at a different car and this is 100% saveable. Is there something I am missing here?

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #4
If you were a little closer I'd buy it in a heart beat.
John

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #5
I'd buy it if I had $500.
1987 TC

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #6
I completely understand.

TTT

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #7
Selling a car that is not running and partially disassembled can really be tough. I don't think you're out of line on your price at all, but you'll need to find an XR7 guy who will want it. The common problem there will be distance. It looks like a pretty clean car. GL with the sale!
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #8
I'm just really torn right now on weather to sell or to stick it out. I don't have alot of time right now which the car needs and want to drive the thing nearly every nice day...

Thanks for the well wishes!

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #9
This is a little off, per rule #9...but...

A. If you have room to store the car without legality issues, and
B. You don't depend on it for a daily driver

I'd keep it...finances always change...this time next year you may be a millionaire...and not be able to find the car that you once had...

Just food for thought. I sold a couple of cars that I thought would be better off having someone else mod 'em up right away rather than wait a year or 2 for me to get to it.

One got totalled on a race track about a month after I traded it, and the other car the guy changed his mind, pulled the engine/trans and junked the car. That car was the '86 ASC/McLaren Capri....which in May 2006 I met (of all places at a junkyard) the guy the Capri was registered to. He knew I'd ended up with it, and offered on the spot to get the title for me.
I didn't tell him the car was probably crushed at that point...

Point is...if you're already having doubts, then I think you know where your heart lies. ;)

Quote from: 86XR7project;299425
I don't have alot of time right now which the car needs and want to drive the thing nearly every nice day
I won't get into the time part, but I too want to drive mine...all I've managed to do is tear the interior out twice, and get the engine started, I feel your pain, anxiety, whatever you name it, I'm there too lol.
We need a therapist!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #10
Make that 3 of us. Havin bought a house, doing renovations, and entering the wonderful world of bills, as well as making the logically unnecessary (but mentally necessary) purchase of the Audi, it would DEFINITELY help me if I sold my xr7 and the convertible. The convertible has been torn apart and in the "in progress" stage for almost 4 years now, I haven't driven the xr7 at all this year. But you know what? I'm keeping it because as he said, I have no idea if my finances will turn around, and if things DO get better I don't wanna be like "Oh  I WISH i still had my Cougars" Also if all you're asking is $500 because you need that cash, I'm sure you can look around your house and acspoogeulate $500 worth of stuff to sell on kijiji.

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #11
I think I really need to just ride this out. You all hold very good points, I do indeed want to finish this car but as you've seen I am a bit stressed out. I know we've had a few of us go through this, I guess it was my turn. I'm not so much hurting for money or anything its just (As we all know) car parts can get somewhat pricey (Its a car hobby what did I expect?) thanks for giving me the pep talk guys. I really needed it.

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #12
Just ride it out, I've been doing that for years.  My justification is this:  It's paid for, and not draining me of car payments for something just sitting there.
1987 TC

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #13
Quote from: HAVI;299515
It's paid for, and not draining me of car payments for something just sitting there.

THE main reason :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Feeler for my Cougar

Reply #14
Quote from: 86XR7project;299514
its just (As we all know) car parts can get somewhat pricey.

Well that's the thing now you're in no immediate rush to finish the car you can just slowly start acspoogeulating the parts you need whenever you happen to score them at a price that's reasonable to you or as your funds keep replenishing.