Skip to main content
Topic: Door Chime (Read 1308 times) previous topic - next topic

Door Chime

On my 86 Bird the door chime is so faint that I can only be heard on the quietest day without the engine running.

Does that indicate an electrical problem or not to worry?
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Door Chime

Reply #1
Chime module is dying; fix is to replace it. Not easy to get to underneath the dash. You may end up dropping the column to get to it.

Door Chime

Reply #2
shiznit great ANOTHER thing I have to become a puppies about and like...disable it so it doesn't wear out or something :hick:

Some of the things I do to/for this car are really unhealthy and borderline insanity.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Door Chime

Reply #3
Back when I first got mine a buddy of mine and myself were putting an alarm in the car and got sick of hearing the chime going off so he put a toggle switch on it. That way it can be turned on and off of course I always leave it off.

Door Chime

Reply #4
Thanks all.  Not to worry.  I get concerned about these little gremlins because of my other car.  The 82 Cougar Wagon.  The idiot light fuze blew out and everytime the car was warm it would start and stall, start and stall, over and over until up to full operating temperature.  I didn't notice the idiot lights not working on start because the battery light always works.  So, when I replace the fuse the problem went away.

Strange but true.
Armed Forces Car Club

Door Chime

Reply #5
mine does the exact same thing in my 88

Door Chime

Reply #6
Well they do annoy so I don't mind.  I was just worrying about how things are interconnected.

Here's an example.  Everyday when the Cougar sat for a couple of hours, still warm but cooled down a bit it would start/stall, over and over again until it was up to operating temp then it was fine.

This drove me crazy for several weeks and got to the point that I wasn't driving it much at all.  Start/Stall, Start/stall.  It was crazy and I fiddled and farted around with ignition, carb.  Luckily it wasn't eligible for Cash for Clunkers or it would have been GONE!!!

So, when I installed the new interior I wanted the rear hatch ajar light to work.  I thought the switch was bad.  I happened to pull the idiot light fuse and it was blown.  I never noticed that the engine and brake light weren't working because the battery light always did.  Installed a new fuse and haven't had the problem since.  I don't know why as I don't have the wiring schematics for the 82 Cougar. 

So this is why I sometimes worry about those things.
Armed Forces Car Club

Door Chime

Reply #7
This is a bit off topic but if I could find one of those modules that says "door ajar" in that 80's electronic voice would it just plug right in or would some wiring be involved?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Door Chime

Reply #8
I tok mine out...drove me crazy

Door Chime

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302;299616
This is a bit off topic but if I could find one of those modules that says "door ajar" in that 80's electronic voice would it just plug right in or would some wiring be involved?

Saw in a thread it was offered I believe in '83, actually here was the thread:
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=25601&highlight=talking+door
1985 T'Bird 5.0
1987 Cougar 3.8
1992 T'bird Sport 5.0 HO