Skip to main content
Topic: X3Z vs A9L (Read 3241 times) previous topic - next topic

X3Z vs A9L

I bought a nice X3Z cobra computer from a local for $100 and it seemed like i got a good deal, finally i could drop in a good ol e303 and upgrade to mass air..
i had planned on using 24lb injectors and the matching MA meter
BUT,
after doing a bit of research i see alot of people favor the a9l due to it's tunability and X3Z's leaning out around 6000rpm
should i abandon the cobra ecu?is anyone using these or have any experience?AHH!! help is much apprieciated 

also there will be no tuning in the equation-
thanks
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #1
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,4991.0.html

If you read you will see why the stick guys put the auto computer in there car because of the added timing.
As for the cobra computer its just not needed, it’s a good computer if your going to run 24 lb injectors and matching MAF but that’s it.

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #2
If you run a 93 Cobra computer you need a 93 Cobra MAF. You may have some problems with the stick computer with an auto as I think 1 or 2 pins may be different with the auto. I've "heard" that it can fry the computer over time but I don't know for sure.

BTW I run an A9P, which is for auto cars.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #3
Quote from: thunderjet302;298538
You may have some problems with the stick computer with an auto as I think 1 or 2 pins may be different with the auto.

BTW I run an A9P, which is for auto cars.

Could be different on for a X3Z but I run a stick A9L with no changes... In fact I don't know of any changes necessary for those...

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #4
I've heard of problems with a pin for the neutral safety switch on an auto car with a manual computer. Something about power going into the EEC through the wrong pin and damaging it. The people who have said this could be full of it though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #5
thanks to all,im going to stick to my guns on this and run the cobra.
as for the a9p vs a9l...

It is perfectly acceptable to use a manual transmission computer in an automatic car (but you cannot do the reverse). The timing curve and sensor adjustments are a little more responsive with a manual computer, giving you better throttle response and slightly improved 0-60 times.

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/ho_conversion.html#computer

again, thanks for your input
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #6
I've done the auto-to-T5 swap on two Mustangs and never changed the ECM.  Never had a problem.

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #7
Quote from: tirefryr;299346
I've done the auto-to-T5 swap on two Mustangs and never changed the ECM.  Never had a problem.

Ditto, I've run a A9P in a 5 speed Stang... The "you can't run a auto puter in a stick" or vice versa is false when dealing with 5.0 Stang a EEC...

I've even run a auto computer from a '89 A4LD Stang(those partially control the tranny), in a '87 5 speed... Set a code cause the computer couldn't the control solenoids, but it worked fine, so well in fact it became a permanent installation... I drove that car from here to Cedar Rapids IA, and was still in place when daughter sold it...

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #8
I just bought a A9L for my Tbird so I can do a mass air swap. Should I have stuck with the A9P for my auto trans? Am I going to lose off line performace?
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #9
Quote from: 86caprirs;299638
I just bought a A9L for my Tbird so I can do a mass air swap. Should I have stuck with the A9P for my auto trans? Am I going to lose off line performace?

There is a very slight difference in the low rpm timing curves of an A9P vs an A9L. The A9P has slightly more timing down low to get the auto moving. Seat of the pants you probably won't notice any difference.

BTW I use an A9P because I got it for free;)

X3Z vs A9L

Reply #10
OK. So i will be fine then. Thanks
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout: