Skip to main content
Topic: lower control arms (Read 1200 times) previous topic - next topic

lower control arms

hey guys

i need to do lower control arms on a 1984 v6 cougar. i have never done that kinda suspension work, though i have changed the struts and shocks. im wondering how hard it is to do. also since having to do the lower control arms , what else should i do?  uppers? sway bar, etc coil springs?  i figured since the car is that old and its all original might as well do it all, depending.but i do have to do the control arms, no matter what . 

thanks for any advice

eddie
eddie

my rides well some of them work:hick:

1995 towncar in black 246 K non running
1989 continental 110K waiting for a part
1984 cougar head gaskets done almost ready!
Yikes the daily ride ...1998 chevy lumina:hick:

lower control arms

Reply #1
Do you want to upgrade or refurbish to like-new?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lower control arms

Reply #3
If it goes anything like my 86, I had to cut the old control arms out as the bolt was frozen to the bushing sleeve in the lowers. The uppers came right out. Other than that its an easy job. I would do either control arms or at least all new bushings including the two for the uppers on the rear end housing. Good Luck!
2015 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel

1986 Thunderbird Elan 302 Crate, x303 heads, e cam, 24lb injectors, gt40 intake, WC T-5, TC rear w/ 3.55 gears, CHP control arms,cobra r wheels.

lower control arms

Reply #4
I'd just get a set of control arms for a 87-93 Mustang from FRPP. They have new bushings and ball joints and bolt right in.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

lower control arms

Reply #5
thunderjet im assuming we are talking rear suspension mainly because of the "lower control arm" as we have no upper.

lower control arms

Reply #6
I read struts and lower control arms and figured he was talking about the front end :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.