Skip to main content
Topic: Types of gass (Read 3469 times) previous topic - next topic

Types of gass

What kinds of gas do you guys prefer?  In my experience I believe that Sunoco and Shell are the better compared to Hess and Delta.  However for the price I might put delta in.  Those are really the only places I've tried. 

are all fuels the same?  I defiantly believe that the air has more to do with performance than the gas.  More so than the octane of the gas.

I'm running a stock 5.0 with a knn air filter lol.

Types of gass

Reply #1
Out here I can only get 91 octane, and some gas stations only carry 89. I usually run 85.

I prefer 7/11 or texaco gas stations. Generally I end up at holiday though. I have chevron because of how much bad luck I've had with the gas pumps. I once put in 27 gallons in a v-6 cat at a chevron and only got 350 miles to the tank of gas with no real idle time. I honestly think that texaco uses the same stuff as chevron, but I don't think its watered down as much.

Holiday is the cheapest with the best gas mileage in my experiance, and maverick is the worst for mileage. At my old work I got gas at a maverick every day I worked. I think it went through 3 fuel pumps the last year I worked there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Types of gass

Reply #2
I like the gas that comes in 2.5 gallon jugs, and is blue, lol

I don't get it often, what there is is usually left in the bottom of my dad's trailer. (He hauls gas, alky, and sometimes race gas)

Course, if it's on a stock engine, it doesn't do jack squat anyway...:hick:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Types of gass

Reply #3
I run the high octane nitrous enriched Shell gas in my Audi :) (only because it's literally around the corner from my house)

Types of gass

Reply #4
93 octane BP in my 88 T-bird. It's two blocks from my house ;)

The 95 runs the cheapest 87 octane I can find.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Types of gass

Reply #5
Sunoco Ultra 94 in both my supercharged birds(because i have too).

Types of gass

Reply #6
well, my last name is Gass....who the hell runs me in their cars?
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Types of gass

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack;297800
I usually run 85.

85?  Lowest we got here is 87....
I've been using Sunoco and Valero as of late....always 93....

Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;297817
I like the gas that comes in 2.5 gallon jugs, and is blue, lol
I don't get it often, what there is is usually left in the bottom of my dad's trailer. (He hauls gas, alky, and sometimes race gas)
Course, if it's on a stock engine, it doesn't do jack squat anyway...:hick:

My Dodge calls for 91, but the manual states you can run 87 albeit with reduced performance due to the knock sensor ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Types of gass

Reply #8
Quote from: V8Demon;298053
85?  Lowest we got here is 87....
I've been using Sunoco and Valero as of late....always 93....

My Dodge calls for 91, but the manual states you can run 87 albeit with reduced performance due to the knock sensor ;)

I live at about 5,000 above sea level, and there are parts within 20 miles over 10,000. Suposedly it affects your air to fuel levels.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Types of gass

Reply #9
the cheapest runs fine for me. I also go through 30 gal a week in my van, so it's a price thing for that one. The lincoln manual says use to use 87 in it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Types of gass

Reply #10
Quote from: Dead Pilot;297788
I believe that Sunoco and Shell are the better compared to Hess and Delta..

Quote from: Dead Pilot;297788
  I defiantly believe that the air has more to do with performance than the gas.  More so than the octane of the gas.

you have a lot of beliefs with no specific reasons. 

Amazing,

there should be a test one should pass before being able to join here:rollin:

Types of gass

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity;298153
you have a lot of beliefs with no specific reasons. 

Amazing,

there should be a test one should pass before being able to join here:rollin:

yes...  I assumed that when dealing with gas it usualy refers to power and fuel econimy.  However we all know what happend when we assume things.  I also haven't specified which octanes. 

In Sunoco and Hess I always use 93.  I believe that I get beter performance with sunoco. 

As far as fuel econmy goes it's negligable.  I believe that with my engine your not going to get better fule econmy with better gasses.  For every day driveing youre keeping the engine at practly an idle. 

The only time those extra octanes help is when my AOD is in thrid or fourth,  and some asshole in a BMW thinks he can pass me on the right.

So I guess at this point I have concluded that sunoco offers a convinent performance fule solution.

Types of gass

Reply #12
If your engine is not set up to run on 93 octane you'll get no more power out of it than running 87 octane. If you're putting 93 octane in a stock 5.0 you are not getting any performance gain. You're just wasting money. I run 93 octane in my 5.0 because I have GT40P heads with higher compression than stock and my timing advanced to 15* BTDC. If I didn't run 93 the car would ping. When I had the stock 5.0 in the car it ran the same with 87 or 93 octane. There was no performance gain with the 93.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Types of gass

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;298811
If your engine is not set up to run on 93 octane you'll get no more power out of it than running 87 octane. If you're putting 93 octane in a stock 5.0 you are not getting any performance gain. You're just wasting money. I run 93 octane in my 5.0 because I have GT40P heads with higher compression than stock and my timing advanced to 15* BTDC. If I didn't run 93 the car would ping. When I had the stock 5.0 in the car it ran the same with 87 or 93 octane. There was no performance gain with the 93.

i get better gas mileage with 93, not really any perfromance gains, although mileage is probably a performance characteristic i would assume.

Types of gass

Reply #14
I ran 91 a couple of years ago for a full tank, back before it cost over $40 to fill one. I actually got the exact same on my old 86 cat as I did with 85.

Now If I would have played with the timing, I'll bet it would be a different story.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.