Skip to main content
Topic: Thinking about picking up an '82 and did (now with pics) (Read 6152 times) previous topic - next topic

Thinking about picking up an '82 and did (now with pics)

Reply #30
I see a balance weight on the rear wheel. Must be rims.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #31
Quote from: Black88LS;299243
dan i like your wheels are those hubcaps?

They are rims. Those are the TRX wheels that were put on the silver anniversary cars. I have another set of TRX's that came with the car that have the correct Michelin white walls that were on it from new but they stay in storage unless I take it to a show as they are big $$

Reply #32
oh i see, yeah those metric tires are big $$

Reply #33
Haha, from the pictures I've seen of everyone else's box bird, I'm convinced that mine got the WORST color scheme.  I will probably get the paint redone once I finish making a decision on how to power it.

Ditto on the fuel sending unit.  My gauge works, then it doesn't, then it does.  After half a tank, it fails completely.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #34
LOVE that Anniv, Dan!  Only one I've even seen in person was at a junk yard many years ago (long since crushed).  Yours looks to be in great shape!  Is that the factory option CB radio?  You've got one of the "high end" factory stereo's, too, right?  Per my owner's manual, I believe one could order a radio with an 8-track, IIRC.  =)  I picked up an original 1980 Thunderbird dealer brochure off eBay a while ago, let me know if you'd like a PDF copy of it.

FWIW, mine used to be 2-tone with a dark brown metallic bottom and a tanish-copper top (and landau vinyl).  Official Ford colors were chamois metallic and dark chamois metallic.
'87 Cougar LS V6 (stock) Daily Driver
'06 Lincoln LS V8

'12 F-150 SCrew FX4 5.0L
'80 Thunderbird V8 (mild 304) [sold to friend]

Reply #35
Quote from: bike70ride;299396
LOVE that Anniv, Dan!  Only one I've even seen in person was at a junk yard many years ago (long since crushed).  Yours looks to be in great shape!  Is that the factory option CB radio?  You've got one of the "high end" factory stereo's, too, right?  Per my owner's manual, I believe one could order a radio with an 8-track, IIRC.  =)  I picked up an original 1980 Thunderbird dealer brochure off eBay a while ago, let me know if you'd like a PDF copy of it.

FWIW, mine used to be 2-tone with a dark brown metallic bottom and a tanish-copper top (and landau vinyl).  Official Ford colors were chamois metallic and dark chamois metallic.

Thanks, the car is in very good shape, matter of fact it is all original. Paint is a bit thin in a few spots but I am hesitant to do anything to the car. The CB is factory. This car also has a factory moonroof which seems to be pretty rare on the Anniversary cars. As far as I can tell it has everything but the leather seats. Thanks for the offer on the brochure but the guy I got the car from had one from the original owner I even got lucky and got the original warranty card, the factory tag on the cb, the 1980 how to use your car tape, the manuals, and even the sleeve that goes on the visor to tell how to start the car and program the visor for your garage door. As far as seeing one they are few and far between I think there were only 1600+/- when they were new.

As far as the original poster saying he doesnt like the color of his car, I actually do. There is one in my small town here that is the same colors that I would like to get but the guy wants to much(so I shall wait). When I was in college in the late 80's I had a 59 Bird that was the same yellowish color so I guess that is where I started to like that color

Reply #36
Quote from: Dansbirds;299406
Thanks, the car is in very good shape, matter of fact it is all original. Paint is a bit thin in a few spots but I am hesitant to do anything to the car. The CB is factory. This car also has a factory moonroof which seems to be pretty rare on the Anniversary cars. As far as I can tell it has everything but the leather seats. Thanks for the offer on the brochure but the guy I got the car from had one from the original owner I even got lucky and got the original warranty card, the factory tag on the cb, the 1980 how to use your car tape, the manuals, and even the sleeve that goes on the visor to tell how to start the car and program the visor for your garage door. As far as seeing one they are few and far between I think there were only 1600+/- when they were new.

As far as the original poster saying he doesnt like the color of his car, I actually do. There is one in my small town here that is the same colors that I would like to get but the guy wants to much(so I shall wait). When I was in college in the late 80's I had a 59 Bird that was the same yellowish color so I guess that is where I started to like that color

I like '59s....:hick: Not a fan of many T-Bird body styles but those make the list! Body lines are awesome
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #37
Quote from: amooset;299373
Haha, from the pictures I've seen of everyone else's box bird, I'm convinced that mine got the WORST color scheme.  I will probably get the paint redone once I finish making a decision on how to power it.

Ditto on the fuel sending unit.  My gauge works, then it doesn't, then it does.  After half a tank, it fails completely.

i know where two of the sending units are, now the question is do they work?

my car was originally a gold color but the previous owner painted it black

Reply #38
Great find!

Reply #39
Quote from: Dansbirds;299406

I remember liking that color combo back when the cars were new. I wouldn't change it. These cars certainly stand out and look interesting to me despite they were not universally loved when they were new.

Reply #40
On page three, I am loving you guys box birds... It makes me want one of those too!

Reply #41
Quote from: amooset;299373

Digital dash here. My gas gauge has never lit up since ive owned the car. Replaced the sending unit and still no light. Speedo works fine. Not sure if a cluster from a different year would work. I roll with a gallon of gas in the trunk, and I've had to use it a number of times lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #42
Quote from: TBone;299527
Digital dash here. My gas gauge has never lit up since ive owned the car. Replaced the sending unit and still no light. Speedo works fine. Not sure if a cluster from a different year would work. I roll with a gallon of gas in the trunk, and I've had to use it a number of times lol.

What do you mean "No light"? Have you pulled the cluster and checked the bulb?

Reply #43
The gas guage is digital like the speedo display, so the lcd gas guage dont light up at all. Pulled the cluster, all wires and bulbs are intact.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #44
I have a digital guage as well which has intermitent bouts where it flashes repeatedly which I believe to be a open circuit between the printed circuit sender and a ground. I dont drive it enough at this point to tear into it but one of these days I will.

I have the 1980 EVTM and the Factory shop manual if any of you guys want some pics or diagrams to try and solve your problems