Skip to main content
Topic: 347 stroked 5.0 on H.P. tv (Read 2119 times) previous topic - next topic

347 stroked 5.0 on H.P. tv

i just got done watching horsepower tv (on spike tv) and they made a stroked 5.0 liter get 374H.P. and 380 foot pounds of torque. just thought you 5.0 liter guys would like to see it :D

Re: 347 stroked 5.0 on H.P. tv

Reply #1
i saw the first 10 minutes of it, when they introduced the cobra R, and said "its 302 has a special induction to make 230hp and....." TV got turned off, improper information already
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
After all that work, still cant make more power than a LS6 Chevy, which is 405 at the crank with full accessories. How depressing.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #3
im glad im not the only one that see's that...
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
But I just said it, not fearing retribution at all. :p
pro-five-oh

Reply #5
i stopped saying it because of the week long debates on stang boards

"the 4.6L is superior to any GM LSx engine because of its lack of valvetrain friction"
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
LS-whatever's rule, the problem is that its wrapped around a GM product. Pass. :)
pro-five-oh

Reply #7
Unfortunately the LS series engines, specifically the LS1/LS6 and the LSX engines are superior to any mod motor Ford has out on the market. Sorry, but HP numbers dont lie, niether does reliability. If I was GM I would be putting the LS series engines in any rear wheel drive platform I had. Now I like a nice 331/347 stroker, especially with some AFR heads, forged bottom end, good induction, and nice fuel system, but  if you'll spend less than $5000 on that kinda of engine. On top of that your getting an aluminum block and killer heads with the LS series. An LS1 with a healthy cam, AFR heads(or ported stock), long tubes and good exhaust, LS6 intake, with stock fuel system with LS1 edit tuning is an easy 10second capable car. Thats with either a M6 or auto with nice stall. I wish they would put the LS1 in something other than a GM, but ford is bound to use the mod motors which I really dont care for. Oh well.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #8
Well I guess I was safe to jump on the OHV LS1 bandwagon on a Fox Tbird/Cougar forum. :)
pro-five-oh

Reply #9
Quote from: pro-five-oh
Well I guess I was safe to jump on the OHV LS1 bandwagon on a Fox Tbird/Cougar forum. :)

No prob, Im not the kind of person that is so loyal to a certain thing that I forget all logic lol. I like going fast :D, and preferably inexpensively and reliably.

Reply #10
After all that work, still cant make more power than a LS6 Chevy, which is 405 at the crank with full accessories. How depressing.

what was the stroke and cubes on the 5.0..im curious. i cant realy bash the chevys cause im ignorant to them. i dont follow them, they dont interest me. most of the time your talking apples to oranges anyway with the chevy to ford argument. all i have is my opinion based on what ive experianced.

EDIT 347 cubes...duh should have read the title ;)

im deff. not a chevy guy. but you cant argue the power of those engines. corvettes, firebirds, camaros and trans ams are sweet cars no doubt. my uncles got an 01 vette, 6 speed with no mods. the car is fast, comfortable and gets 27 mpg. personally, the car itself doesnt do it for me and forget about the camaro and the firebirt/trans am. i cant stand the feel or ride they have. ill never own one. the mustang may be slower but id own a cobra over any chevy anyday purely because i would enjoy the car more.

back to my uncles vette. 21k on it. sometimes at a stoplight the gagues will go wacky or the power windows wont work or it will have some other kind of glitch. i asked him about that and all the vettes he has had did the same thing. fiberglass car is obviously poorly grounded. its also on the second engine. the first one butnt 2 quarts in 3k miles. chevy says 1.5 is acceptable but they would warrenty because it is above that. i dunno. i guess i would expect more from a 50k car.

nobody makes a perfect car. i belive ford owned the 80s and early 90s. they did better by the end of the 90s and up to now still have a great hand in the game. the mod motors may be short on some power but they are IMHO ahead in technology.

if you want to argue power, well out of all of the fords ive owned, none of them would stay with say a 98 camaro 6 speed. the mark 8 maybe with the nos. but there again your looking at 281 cubes going after 350.

they make more power yes...but chevy is always going to blow as far as im concerned. rarely do they catch my eye but i never miss a stang or a turbo coupe...

sorry for the lowsy rant. im boared
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #11
i personally love the f-bodies, ive been a fan since i was young, i dont like the 80-81, and thats about it really

i grew up around thirdgens, the 93-97 LT1 cars arnt my favorite, but the 98+ with the LS1 just does it for me, how id love to have a 2002-2003 WS6, in Sunset Orange Metallic, the polished 17" wheels, and a T56
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
Honestly, I would without question by a 98-02 SS or WS6 M6 if the price was right. Who knows.... ;)

Reply #13
98-02 SS

yeah. friend of mines brother had a nice black 98 SS that he bought new. deffinetly a nice car. he drives it like a grandma though. just about made him wet himself when he let me take it for a drive. suprised the  out of me as well actually. quite the car. but for the beans id rather pick up a cobra. i know it aint gonna be as fast but the stangs do it for me way more than those cars.

WS6 M6

actually, i dont even know what that is. last of the camaro i suspact.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #14
Quote from: shame302

actually, i dont even know what that is. last of the camaro i suspact.

Firebird, WS6 is the package, like a camaro Z28, i actually dont know what M6 means though
It's Gumby's fault.