Skip to main content
Topic: Spring Overload (Read 2912 times) previous topic - next topic

Spring Overload

Hey guys.  Searching through all the spring-related threads, I've found myself in spring overload. here.

Since I'm swapping a 5.0 into my TC, I'm left wondering what to do.  Some of the threads I saw had pics of Birds/Cats with 5.0's in them and new TC springs up front.  Some of these cars sat really low in the front (too low to clear speed bumps, or driveway apr0ns), while others didn't sit very low at all.  They looked to bne sittin at a factory height.

Some cars had new Sport springs up front and looked like their fronts were on jack stands., while other cars with Sport springs up front looked to be sitting at about factory height.  WTF????

I want the Blackbird's nose to sit at what looks like a factory height.  I don't want to have to worry about my longtubes dragging over speed bumps, or any other  like that.  Having said that, I don't want it to be too high up front either and look like a monster truck. 

Can anyone make heads, or tails of this for me?
William

Spring Overload

Reply #1
With the SN-95 springs the Sport sits "right",and doesn't come close to dragging anything.Even over some of the larger speed bumps around our mall.I am very pleased with them,the ride quality is very good,good around the corners,SUPER cheap at the boneyard (O.K.,they were free),the V-6 and V-8 SN-95 springs are the same,and I have them at all 4 corners.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Spring Overload

Reply #2
These 2 links may be of some use to give you an idea of spring rates, load ratings, and heights

http://101part.com/coilsprings/Moog_Coil_Springs.htm

http://www.101part.com/coilsprings/ford/thunderbird.htm

You can cross reference part#'s using the 2 too see the specification differences
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Spring Overload

Reply #3
If you use aluminum heads and the springs are in good shape, no reason the orig TCs should not work... My TC has stock shocks, struts and springs all round, sets approx 3/4" lower in front than with the half motor... I'm too happy with it to go messin around with other springs...

Spring Overload

Reply #4
hey vinnie your car before the sn95 springs looked jacked up and after it looks sitting right
but, Chuck W wich is also using those springs seems to be riding pretty much lower How is that,

also you stated that v6 and v8 sn95 springs were the same how is that and from what year to what year

thanx Vin

Spring Overload

Reply #5
That's what I've noticed.  It seems like one guy will use SN95's and have a totally different ride height from another guy with the same car and springs.  I'm just not sure what to think. 

I'm running iron heads Tom, so I'd say that would rule out TC springs up front.

I had seen those charts Demon (thanks for trying to help though Buddy).  I just didn't know what look I'd get with the various springs listed on it.  I guess I'll have to use the figures on those charts to make an educated guess on which springs will give me the look I'm after. 

Quote from: 1986Élan;296672
hey vinnie your car before the sn95 springs looked jacked up and after it looks sitting right
but, Chuck W wich is also using those springs seems to be riding pretty much lower How is that,

also you stated that v6 and v8 sn95 springs were the same how is that and from what year to what year

thanx Vin
William

Spring Overload

Reply #6
The height of the rear of my Sport will more than likely get a little lower with Mustang shocks.As I said,I keep the rear up just a little in case I'm hauling anything heavy in the trunk so the car doesn't squat.The fact that a lot of heavy parts are off of the car may make a small difference.The smog and a/c equipment are gone (a/c making a comeback soon),the old cast iron manifolds are gone.Plus,the springs and struts are in excellent shape,which,may keep the car up in front like it belongs.I think KingCars had the same look as my car after using the SN-95 springs.Not much difference at all between the two.I've also got SN-95 front control arms.Now,this is only what I've heard,don't take it for fact,but I HEARD that the arms are the same as the '88 Bird's control arms which I do know to be true,BUT,that the pockets for the springs are slightly deeper.....which would lower the car somewhat.Again,I read that somewhere and don't know that to be true.I think if you use the same SN-95 springs,you would be pleased.Not high,and not so low you can't take a speed bump without coming to a near stop.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Spring Overload

Reply #7
That's good info to have Vinnie.  I've got plenty of time to figure out what direction I want to go in.  After reading what you had to say about the SN95 springs, I just might use them.
William

Spring Overload

Reply #8
That's right you will !!!!!!! LOL.

Spring Overload

Reply #9
I don't know if this will help, but I snapped a pic of my son's "fleet".

The 87 TC on the left is bone stock. It is a loaded 90K car. It has every possible option except the A4LD, it's got a T5 in in. The original ride control shocks have been replaced with non-ride control shocks and the front springs are, to the best of my knowledge, the original factory units.

The center 87 TC has a 5.0 with fuel injection, iron heads, a Vortech blower and a V8 T5 in it. It's got about 140K on the clock. As far as I can tell, it still has the original ride control shocks and original factory springs.

The right hand 88 TC is also bone stock, like the LH bird, and it also has every option except the automatic. It's another 5-speed car. It has at least 230K on it. I am not sure about the shocks, but I think the springs are original.

I don't know if that helps or not. If it was me, I would start with the original TC setup and go from there. My guess is it will be fine.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Spring Overload

Reply #10
Wow!  Your 5.0 Bird sits as high, or higher in the front than the 4cylinder Birds.  That's strange.  Thanks for that pic. 

Quote from: FLSTCI71;296894
I don't know if this will help, but I snapped a pic of my son's "fleet".

The 87 TC on the left is bone stock. It is a loaded 90K car. It has every possible option except the A4LD, it's got a T5 in in. The original ride control shocks have been replaced with non-ride control shocks and the front springs are, to the best of my knowledge, the original factory units.

The center 87 TC has a 5.0 with fuel injection, iron heads, a Vortech blower and a V8 T5 in it. It's got about 140K on the clock. As far as I can tell, it still has the original ride control shocks and original factory springs.

The right hand 88 TC is also bone stock, like the LH bird, and it also has every option except the automatic. It's another 5-speed car. It has at least 230K on it. I am not sure about the shocks, but I think the springs are original.

I don't know if that helps or not. If it was me, I would start with the original TC setup and go from there. My guess is it will be fine.
William

Spring Overload

Reply #11
Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;296947
Wow! Your 5.0 Bird sits as high, or higher in the front than the 4cylinder Birds. That's strange. Thanks for that pic.

I know, and it seems to sit higher in the rear too, which I thought was really weird. I'll have to try to verify all of the front stuff is still factory because that doesn't make sense to me. I'll let you know what I find out.

Spring Overload

Reply #12
A fully dressed iron head 5.0 weighs about the same as a 2.3T. 
TC's generally have more options.  I'm sure the PRC equipment adds some weight.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Spring Overload

Reply #13
Quote from: V8Demon;296977
A fully dressed iron head 5.0 weighs about the same as a 2.3T. 
TC's generally have more options.  I'm sure the PRC equipment adds some weight.

I would think a fully dressed iron head 5.0 with a blower would weigh more than a 2.3 with a turbo. I guess I don't know for sure. Also, all three birds are 5-speed 87/88 Turbo Coupes. The outer two are stock and the center one has the 5.0 in it. It was a Turbo Coupe from the factory and when we bought it from the junkyard just before it got crushed. We installed the 5.0, but the suspension is all factory TC.

Spring Overload

Reply #14
My TC had an iron headed 5.0L in it at one point(now aluminum heads) and the front factory springs sit perfect.
It was actually a little high to be honest and my springs where actually broken on the lowest coil.
If i'm not mistaken,i think the factory TC springs had the highest pound per square inch rating of all 3 engines.