Skip to main content
Topic: Digital Tach lite out 88 Cougar (Read 1366 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital Tach lite out 88 Cougar

I did search, didnt find out anything.
But on my 88 LS Cougar, looks like a backlite is out
I can see the gauge working if I get up close to it
at nite, but it doesnt illuminate.
Was going to take the cluster out today, but thought Id
post this up prior to see what it comes up with.
Speedo and Driver info center pods lite up fine btw.

Reply #1
Mine was the same way, I checked the bulbs and couldn't figure out anything.

Reply #2
For whatever reason, your light bulbs are not lighting. I have had them burn out alot on mine before.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
from what I gather there is also a power source
unit that may need replacing.
Im taking mine apart this week.

Reply #4
If it's only the one gauge out it's likely the bulb. The replacemennt bulb is a hard to find halogen bulb, but you can use a simple 194 "peanut" bulb for replacement. HINT: If you take the cluster out, replace ALL bulbs. They're all the same age, and if one is gone others will soon follow.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Replacing all the bulbs probably isn't a bad idea, but those halogen type seem to have a high failure rate(and sometimes melt the socket)... Every 5.0 Bird I owned had those burned out, while the std 194 bulbs were fine...

Reply #6
My digital cluster (knock on wood) still has the 22 year old bulbs in it. Now when I start driving in the spring they will probably go out:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Hey I rob bulbs from junk clusters, I've even used the #194s from a '69 Torino cluster I have upstairs... As long as they aren't blackened, I'll put them back into service...

I need to get off that Torino cluster, as it has a tach which should bring at least $200 on ebay...

Reply #8
I swapped all mine out for 501/W5W bulbs which are slightly higher wattage than the 194s.  Seems to be plenty bright to me.

-Z

Reply #9
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;295842
If it's only the one gauge out it's likely the bulb. The replacemennt bulb is a hard to find halogen bulb, but you can use a simple 194 "peanut" bulb for replacement. HINT: If you take the cluster out, replace ALL bulbs. They're all the same age, and if one is gone others will soon follow.

I take it your not talking about the the 6-8 bulbs that go around the cluster? Is there a bulb I forgot ot check? lol and got a picture of what your talking about?

Reply #10
There in the back of the cluster near the curcuit board.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
We are talking about the ones that plug into a switch  that then makes like a 1/4 turn back into place? The plugs are usually blue or black? If so I swpaped all those lights out when I had a problem, and it didn't solve anything. I think I even swapped out a cluster and it didn't solve it. I eventually gave up.

Reply #12
Quote from: jpc647;296165
We are talking about the ones that plug into a switch  that then makes like a 1/4 turn back into place? The plugs are usually blue or black? If so I swpaped all those lights out when I had a problem, and it didn't solve anything. I think I even swapped out a cluster and it didn't solve it. I eventually gave up.

I would check your dimmer output then (inside the headlight switch).