Skip to main content
Topic: Factory Ford 73mm MAF... (Read 1226 times) previous topic - next topic

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Titled as such to grab your attention...I picked up a MAF housing a few months ago from the junkyard from a 4.6 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis(found the intake duct and housing in the trunk of another car).  These meters actually measure almost right on 73mm instead of the 70mm that everybody refers to them as.  After reading some threads, I had found that cutting the center bar out destroys the calibration and the whole thing is trash.  Also, many people claimed that the stock 55mm mustang MAF would become a restriction before it pegged.

Well folks, those people are WRONG on both accounts.  I took down a little casting flash in the MAF housing and cut out the center bar.  Then I installed one of my F1ZF sensors into the housing and decided to give it a shot being as I had a MAF adjuster laying around.  I fired it up, expecting it to immediately stall, but it didn't.  At warm idle, the modified MAF read .88v...my OE 55mm unit read between .90v-.94v at warm idle.  Watching my A/F gauge indicated that the car was running slightly leaner at idle.

I took it for a test drive and it ran only a hair richer at full throttle and it was just slightly lazier (going from lean to rich) during tip in.  The car woke up big time.  My 351w never really wanted to run past 4k rpm and I had always assumed it was my 5.0 HO upper plenum that was restricting it(which it still is restricting power), but it was pulling great, A/F ratio was good and when I looked at the tach...sure enough, it read 4400 and still going strong.

When cutting out the center bar on these housings, the trick is NOT to use the F2VF sensor that typically come in them...you HAVE to use the Fox-mustang sensor.

I guess I'll see what happens when I get my hogged out, reduced runner length, HO upper plenum welded back together and drop in the 24lb injectors.  Hopefully I can get around to it within the next two weeks.

Happy modifying,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #1
Did you happen to disconnect the battery?  I'm curious to know whether or not the ECU is relying on stored information in your case.  How long was said test drive?  I'dwait for a few drive cycles before I claimed victory.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #2
lightnings have a 90mm, thats what i will be using when i convert to MAF
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #3
I seem to remember talking about that issue before...maybe it was with one of thunderjet302's threads. But yeah I cut the center bar out of my 98 GT and 98 Cobra with no noticable adverse effects.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #4
Quote from: V8Demon;292629
Did you happen to disconnect the battery?  I'm curious to know whether or not the ECU is relying on stored information in your case.  How long was said test drive?  I'dwait for a few drive cycles before I claimed victory.....

I did disconnect the battery.  I've been doing a fair bit of driving to see if performance/drivability degrade at all...so far so good.  It's been two days and only 5-6 drive cycles.  I'm about to take a nice long drive in a few minutes.

I've just heard so much from so many people on so many forums regarding MAF sensors and housings...I figured I'd post up my results...I honestly did NOT expect it to run right...I didn't expect it to run right even with the Mass Air Adjuster...turns out I didn't even need it! (so far)

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #5
Stock electronics from the 55mm unit with 19 pound injectors, correct?
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #6
Quote from: V8Demon;292726
Stock electronics from the 55mm unit with 19 pound injectors, correct?

Correct....I do have 24lb injectors to swap in once I drop on the other upper plenum...then I will have to tweak the MAF voltage using the Mass Air Adjuster to get the right A/F ratio...I suppose I could drop my fuel pressure back to stock specs(currently at 50psi).

Just trying to get every last bit out of it before I go up against my buddy's '08 mustang at the track...lol.

-Don

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #7
I just went through this whole mess.  I ended up using a stock 55 because I could never make the F2VF stop bucking.  I have about 5 different MAF housings/meters running around the garage now.  Maybe I will try throwing the meeter from the 55 into the 73 like you said.  I know the 55 is holding me back.  Its the last stock part left in the airflow path and my engine feels kinda flat.

With the F2VF it would run like a bat out of hell on part or open throttle. But engine braking would just about smash your teeth into the steering wheel.  Its not a race car so that much bucking would just make driving it miserable.

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #8
Yeah, the drivability is real nice...maybe it's not the best thing for a 302, but it seems to work pretty well with my restricted 351...lol.  I never even tried it with the F2VF sensor because I knew it would be problems.  Hopefully this helps some people trying to do stuff on the cheap...I'm always looking for ways to get more from less, lol.

Good luck,
Don

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #9
Quote from: danzajax;292902

With the F2VF it would run like a bat out of hell on part or open throttle. But engine braking would just about smash your teeth into the steering wheel.  Its not a race car so that much bucking would just make driving it miserable.

After searching this a long time ago, I thought that was the sensor we were supposed to use?
Mike

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #10
Thats what I read at the corral.  But when I had the jerky engine brake problems I started asking around and at least a couple others had jerky engine braking or low speed problems.  Others report no problems. 

Guess I'm just unlucky. 
It runs great with the 55 but it feels like its holding back.

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #11
*Supposedly* you can use the F2VF, but ONLY in the stock housing that it came in, when you cut the center bar out, it totally screws the calibration of the sensor...you significantly increase air-flow and the electronics are calibrated to the housings.

That's why I'm so suprised my ized combination of a MAF sensor works so well.  You don't really gain much with just using the F2VF sensor and un-modified housing...the inner diameter is bigger, yes, but the center bar is almost as much of a restriction as having the smaller 55mm MAF housing.

-Don

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #12
Which is why I just went with the C&L.

Factory Ford 73mm MAF...

Reply #13
Quote from: V8Demon;293169
Which is why I just went with the C&L.

Yeah, I'd have gone that way too if business didn't flatline...kinda hard to make any commission these days...

...stupid economy.