Skip to main content
Topic: fuel injectors for high boost? (Read 1909 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel injectors for high boost?

Reply #15
I agree on all that. Doing simple/very rough math and excluding MANY variables, he would be increasing fuel consumption 30% when going from 15psi to 25. 14.7 atmosphere, 15 boost, 10 on top of that to get to 25psi. 40/30*36 (rough pressure after 25psi, rough pressure currently, divided by stock fuel injectors) = 48lb fuel injectors.

I'm sure 55's would work fine but I wouldn't do 42's. 2.3's are not easy/cheap to make street friendly with 400hp+ so I don't think he really needs 65's.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #16
Quote from: dominator;292697
Did not know about the impedance differance but there should be something smaller out there for the low impedance, from what i understand the low systems can use both.
He won't be pushing that kind of power by just upping the boost and not doing anything else so i figure he'll be just shy of 300hp.
The stock regulator ups the pressure under boost anyways 1psi-1lb of boost so running 25 pounds of boost should raise the pressure the same over base allowing for more fuel flow.

Yes, the low impedance systems can use both high and low impedance injectors, but the high impedance injectors don't respond as quickly. They don't open and close as quickly.

Granted he won't be pushing the power by upping the boost, and basic bolt ons, by if you were to spend 220 on 42# injectors, why not spend the 220 dollars on the 65# injectors, and never worry about it again?

Yes, the factory regulator increases boost 1psi per 1psi of boost, but that isn't always enough at higher boost levels. Increasing the base pressure can get you a little bit more out of your injector, but like I said before, the spray pattern suffers.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #17
Quote from: Tbird232ci;292683
A 302 and a 2.3L are total different beasts. Cut the amount of injectors in half, while keeping the same amount of power, and what happens? You double your duty cycle. So then you think, chop your power in half, 250+, 4 of those same injectors are then working at an 80% duty cycle. You can get away with adding pressure, but as you add pressure, your spray pattern suffers.

Not to mention, 42# injectors for your V8 are high impedance.

On a turbo 2.3L, 65# injectors are good for about 400-450.

Let's not forget about BSFC.  It's generally higher on a forced induction application meaning you'll need more gasoline/diesel/whatever.

Yes, the factory regulator increases boost 1psi per 1psi of boost, but that isn't always enough at higher boost levels. Increasing the base pressure can get you a little bit more out of your injector, but like I said before, the spray pattern suffers.

To add:  as pressure increases the flow through the injector; it DECREASES pump output.
I would never want to see more than 60 PSI @ the rail.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #18
Quote from: V8Demon;292727
To add:  as pressure increases the flow through the injector; it DECREASES pump output.
yup yup. three words: high pressure pump.
Quote from: quicksilver;292272
im getting a 255lph walbro fuel pump,
not just 255lph, but 255HP lph.
only takes 22psi boost at base fuel pressure(39psi) to be over 60psi FP under full boost. if youre cheating injectors by raising base pressures, you will be over 60psi under boost in no time.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #19
Quote from: gumby;292728
yup yup. three words: high pressure pump.

not just 255lph, but 255HP lph.
only takes 22psi boost at base fuel pressure(39psi) to be over 60psi FP under full boost. if youre cheating injectors by raising base pressures, you will be over 60psi under boost in no time.

Walbro gss340 i believe is what your after.

Reply #20
so people are saying 42# and 65# and SEEK said 55# which sounds the best because its inbetween what everyone else is saying. i like the idea of the 65's because what it sounds like is that they wouldnt have to work as hard but if its not working very hard wont that effect the spray pattern?

DOMINATOR: whats the difference between the 255HP lph and a gss340?

thank you for your help and advise, you guys are very knowledgeable.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #21
The GSS will put out more gas in relation to the 255 HP when both are subjected to high rail pressures.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #22
They sell two pumps,gss307 High volume,gss340 high volume high pressure.
The 340 will maintain pressure at higher rail pressures as where the 307 will fall off after 55psi if i remember correctly.