Skip to main content
Topic: Update: 88XR-7 dying at temp (New Codes) (Read 810 times) previous topic - next topic

Update: 88XR-7 dying at temp (New Codes)

Hey,

Thanks for the help with the dizzy and timing adjustments...I have got the car running decently well but I am still pulling codes...any ideas?

I have disconnected the battery to clear the codes and this is what I still get:

KOEO/CM:
22 - MAP/BP sensor out of self test range
51 - ECT sensor signal is greater than the S/T maximum of 4.6 volts
63 - TPS circuit has intermittently failed below minimum 0.6 volts.
34 - PFE or EVP circuit has intermittently failed above the closed limit of 0.67 volts.

KOER:
45 - Thermactor secondary air is misdirected
18 - SPOUT circuit open or spark angle word failure

I was having problems with an intermittant, almost rolling idle (between 600-1100rpm), but it has since started to disappear...

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Reply #1
Your tps is out of range. It should be around .9 volts at idle.

Check out this site
http://fordfuelinjection.com/
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
OK..i've cleaned the throttle body and plugs...after everything, i reset the computer, ran the car to temp, then pulled codes..these are the latest...

KOER:
21 - ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts
94 - Thermactor Air Injection system inoperative (left side)

I believe the "21" means I need a new ECT sensor, but I have no idea what the "94" code means...any help is much appreciated!

Paul

Reply #3
The thermactor, at least on a v8/v6 car is bolted is bolted to the passenger side strut tower, the back of it. I don't remember if its the top of bottom one because I can't go look at the car, I'm at school. I would make sure the vacuum lines are connected and not bent/broken.

Reply #4
Hey,guys, sorry to interrupt, buy I'm kindof new at this sort of thing, and I have been wondering for a long time how to pull codes for my car, and this seemed like the best thread to show up in:D So what I was wondering is whether or not I have to go out and get one of those expensive code reader tools, and if so, where do I plug it in and how do I know what the codes mean? Thanx guys
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #5
If it's fully warmed up and sets a code 21 repl the temp sensor and retest... Unless it's still there after you repl the temp sensor, at this point the 94 isn't important... Always fix the first code given and retest...