Skip to main content
Topic: Steering wheel options? please look (Read 1880 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering wheel options? please look

The stock steering wheel in my 88 Sport is just too skinny and has an awkward feel to it. I want to use a factory ford steering wheel to replace it and still have cruise control buttons. Has anyone use a factory wheel off a 89+ T-bird Super Coupe. I've seen a few of those in the junkyard and they are much thicker and comfortable looking. Any suggestions?

Reply #1
I used the 87 mustang gt wheel.  Nice and thick and still has cruise buttons.
Mike

Reply #2
The Turbocoupe wheel is a direct swap, and is a very nice thick wheel.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #3
Quote from: cougarman;291155
the turbocoupe wheel is a direct swap, and is a very nice thick wheel.:d

+1
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #4
I like the Mustang wheel as well.Non air bag of course.It's just different than what I'm used to (TC wheel),.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
The 89+ Thunderbird wheels mount with a bolt that screws into the end of an internally threaded steering column shaft which is different than 88 and earlier that mount with a nut onto an externally threaded steering column shaft. Also, the 89+ steering wheel is much deeper and would sit way too close to your chest.

I say if you want a thick wheel go with the 85-89 Turbo Coupe wheel or a 87-90 Mustang GT wheel (pre-airbag).

Reply #6
But I like my skinny leather steering wheel ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Quote from: Watchdevil;291285
The 89+ Thunderbird wheels mount with a bolt that screws into the end of an internally threaded steering column shaft which is different than 88 and earlier that mount with a nut onto an externally threaded steering column shaft. Also, the 89+ steering wheel is much deeper and would sit way too close to your chest.

I say if you want a thick wheel go with the 85-89 Turbo Coupe wheel or a 87-90 Mustang GT wheel (pre-airbag).

I swapped the '89 XR-7 steering wheel onto my '88 for half a day....  sucked.  was way off angle, and sat WAY too close to the chest...  use a stang steering wheel like I did...  Gave it a nice sporty feel to it, and was much nicer to cruise with.  steering wheel from an '87-'88 LX is a direct swap and cruise works.

God I miss that car...  :(

Reply #8
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;291357
I swapped the '89 XR-7 steering wheel onto my '88 for half a day....  sucked.  was way off angle, and sat WAY too close to the chest...  use a stang steering wheel like I did...  Gave it a nice sporty feel to it, and was much nicer to cruise with.  steering wheel from an '87-'88 LX is a direct swap and cruise works.

God I miss that car...  :(

I always liked the blue velour like you have!

So how were you able to mount the 89 wheel with the different shaft mount... Or am I wrong about certain year 89+ mounting different? Everyone I found at the salavge yard has the bolt mount.

On my former 1985 Tbird, I simply swapped a black four spoke Ford Tempo wheel with cruise control buttons. That steering wheel was slightly closer to the chest but not too much.

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302;291333

I went to a four spoke 1983 wheel on the 1984 Bird I am restoring now. I plan to pad the rim extra before I install a new leather wrap, that way it won't be too skinny. However, being the characteristic of a vintage car, I can live with a skinny wheel. I just like that it is a nice small diameter in the first place.

Reply #10
I was thinking this thread was about aftermarket wheels, silly me :rollin:

Reply #11
Quote from: Watchdevil;291365
I always liked the blue velour like you have!

So how were you able to mount the 89 wheel with the different shaft mount... Or am I wrong about certain year 89+ mounting different? Everyone I found at the salavge yard has the bolt mount.

thanks, I liked it too...

The way it is bolted down doesnt effect the mounting of it, as long as the notch is the same..  which is way off on the newer steering wheel, and it doesnt fit worth a  anyways, unless you are a t-rex and have a 1' arm length....:D

Reply #12
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;291410
thanks, I liked it too...

The way it is bolted down doesnt effect the mounting of it, as long as the notch is the same..  which is way off on the newer steering wheel, and it doesnt fit worth a  anyways, unless you are a t-rex and have a 1' arm length....:D

Glad to know I was not missing a possible mod...

Reply #13
Thanks for all your replies its been very helpful. I've traded some parts for a 87 non airbag cruise wheel from a mustang. It's definitely a better feel to it.

Reply #14
Quote from: thunderjet302;291333

I did too. After driving the SHO, that has a thick wheel plus a wheel skin, I dont like the skinny style anymore.
1986 Cougar LS