Skip to main content
Topic: ECTS help (Read 1249 times) previous topic - next topic

ECTS help

i need to help finding the ECTS (engine coolant temperature sensor). my car is somtimes runing like its cold eventho its hot. i did some reserch and found its the ects the dose it but i dont know where its at. i dont know if it gose by any other name but i think it might be called eec coolant temperature sensor too but i dont know. any help would be good. tired of burning up gas lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
88 5.0L aod with duel flowmaster and speedo mod
88 5.0L H.O with 5 speed R.I.P
87 3.8L no trans. geting h.o and 5speed (project never ending thunder) started it as of 8-14-10
96 bronco xl 5.0L 5 speed man4x4
:birdsmily:

ECTS help

Reply #1
Unless my memory has gone to pot, the sensor for the gauge is a single wire, down low behind the distributor on the driver's side, and the EEC sensor is in the metal heater pipe, passenger side, close to the oil filler, 2-wire connector.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

ECTS help

Reply #2
so it is called the eec also
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 3.8L no trans. geting h.o and 5speed (project never ending thunder) started it as of 8-14-10

ECTS help

Reply #3
Well, *I* called it the EEC sensor, but that's just to make sure you're looking at the right one. ECTS is more "correct".
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

ECTS help

Reply #4
ok then i know where its at. one thing saided the ects and ones saided eec. so they are the samething then
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ECTS help

Reply #5
Pulling codes would tell you if the ECTS was not working.

ECTS help

Reply #6
why go through the work of pulling codes. the car has codes on it form the getgo so it would just be a lot of work to get them. and i know its the oringel ects in the car so im going to go with that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ECTS help

Reply #7
that there is a perfect example of the "just throw parts at it till i fix it" attitude.
i have no idea of your exact problem you are having with your car but since your there might as well clean off the ATC sensor also ;)
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

ECTS help

Reply #8
Quote from: MasterBlaster;290478
Unless my memory has gone to pot, the sensor for the gauge is a single wire, down low behind the distributor on the driver's side, and the EEC sensor is in the metal heater pipe, passenger side, close to the oil filler, 2-wire connector.

Actually if you have a full digital gauge cluster the temp sender looks a lot like the ECT sensor (even has the same shape and connector:hick:) but it is in the same spot as the base/buttstuffog temp sender.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

ECTS help

Reply #9
well i put the new part in to day. and it did what it was doing one time today so im going to see if it gets better or not. if i dose not get better i can just take the part back and get my money back so the hole throw money and parts at it is rong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ECTS help

Reply #10
ok well i got the part and it fixed it for some time but its still reving high sometimes and the olny way to stop it is to turn off the car and turn it back on. when i turn the car on it idles high the goes down like it should but when im driveing it. it will idle at 1g when im stop at a stop light. any one know what could cause it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ECTS help

Reply #11
Quote from: hellsing73;292338
any one know what could cause it?

Quote from: softtouch;290492
pulling codes would tell you...

lol wut?