Skip to main content
Topic: upgrade 87 LX front brakes (Read 1816 times) previous topic - next topic

upgrade 87 LX front brakes

the front brakes in stock form always seem just a little week for the size/weight of the car. whats the best upgrade for this?
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: upgrade 87 LX front brakes

Reply #1
The 11" Turbo Coupe/5.0 Mustang swap is about your best bang-for-the-buck front brake upgrade. You'll need a pair of 5.0 Mustang/TC spindles, rotors, calipers and hoses. You'll also need 15" or larger wheels. Eric's got a great writeup on the subject here:

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/11inchbrake.html
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Re: upgrade 87 LX front brakes

Reply #2
I started using Albany semi-metallic pads on mine (10"), & it stops way better than it did with the OEM ones, although the 11" conversion would surely be best.  They're from AutoZone, and I think they recently changed their brand name to Duralast.  I put some of the Duralast semi-metallics on my Suburban last week & they seem to work real well also.  Cost about $22/set.

Reply #3
Hello ThunderChicken :)
Maybe you could help me....I have an 87 Tbird Lx 5.0 v8 Aod Setup....would like to improve suspension....
How where the mustang bullit springs?? how did it change your ride? What Struts & shock combo where you using
with this setup on the Tbird you sold  ....Any suspension tips would be appreciated...since you have been through this...
thanx for your Help....
Happy Holidays :)

Reply #4
The Bullitt springs were great, but you'll need adjustable rear lower control arms because the Bullitt rear springs are about 3" too short. I've heard non-Bullitt SN95 springs don't have this problem. I was using stock-replacement shocks & struts, Munroe Gas-A-Just if memory serves. In addition to the Bullitt springs and CHE adjustable rear lower control arms and non-adjustable upppers, I also had poly front control arm bushings, TC sway bars with poly bushings and end links, weld-in subframe connectors, TC front brakes, TC rear axle with discs, poly engine mounts and poly trans mount. Tires were 22560R16 on stock TC wheels. The car handled like it was on rails. Chuck that baby into a turn and it stayed flat and planted.

That being said, I always felt I ruined the car. I took it too far. It rode so rough it was no longer enjoyable to drive. You could run over a squirrel and tell what it had for lunch. I think were I to do it again I'd do everything except the poly front bushings...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Hi Thunderchicken :)
thanx for the advice.....would you recommend factory replacements for the control Arm bushings & the Swaybar?
In your Opinion...if you still had that car...how would you setup the suspension? knowing what you know now??
thanx :)