Skip to main content
Topic: Stumped: 88XR7 Starts but stalls at temp - HELP!! (Read 2499 times) previous topic - next topic

Stumped: 88XR7 Starts but stalls at temp - HELP!!

Reply #15
You really need to run codes before guessing. There isn't even enough information provided to really give us a good guess.

Pull codes first. I would be betting on ignition related.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Update:

Reply #16
Well,

Replaced the thermostat because I already had it apart and it was a cheap replacement, but tried to START and had following issues:

-Car started and ran ROUGH (shaking, studdering, and sounding like its struggling to live..was somewhat unreactive to throttle) for 20sec before I just shut off..very unusual considering it usually starts and runs great up until it dies...ran like shiznit

-Car will no longer start following this incident: turns over, then just drains battery; can hear starter and fuel pumps kick on...

Because of this I am charging battery overnight and HOPING to check codes tomorrow, as I can not do so with out it running/warm

Reply #17
Have you checked to see if you even have spark? Fuel pressure?

My motto; I'd rather guess and buy tools than guess and buy parts... At least the tools can be used later for something else. Get a spark tester and a fuel pressure gage.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #18
Working on getting the distributor back to its original position so that I can run the car and pull codes....yea, I F*ed up haha....

Hey What Happened?

Reply #19
Sorry I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if the problems got fixed, and if so how?
Thank you

Reply #20
Quote from: daminc;289917
if you have idling problems and it has been bogging out before it dies after it gets to temp. Your cats may be clogged if they're old.(or sat for a long time)

if it feels like it's not getting enough gas. it may be the fuel pump or the pump relay switch fritzing out.

You say it never dies at all when the motor is cold?
It's a xr7 with a stock 5.0?

Exact problem I have it seems, when the cats reach a hot temperature it idles rough and will stall. Once I get the car moving with the cats hot it seems to be suffocating for power. It is more difficult to restart and keep it running when this happens. I know I have to replace the cats and virtually the entire exhaust system. This is all part of the now focus of attention to the drivetrain now that the weather is good enough to work outside.

Reply #21
Quote from: Old_Paint;289955
KOEO - Key On, Engine Off - Make sure you warm the engine first, though.  See www.fordfuelinjection.com for a good description of running this test.  Idling should warm the engine within 10-15 minutes, less if you fast idle (2000 RPM) it.  Warm engine is necessary to prevent ACT and ECT sensor codes.

KOER - Key On, Engine Running (as if the engine could be running without Key On?).  This is a dynamic test, and requires some intervention which varies slightly with the EEC model.  One variation is the BOO (Brake On/Off) test, which is not done on the manual transmission version.  The manual transmission requires turning the steering wheel instead to check the PS pressure switch.  Miss one step, and you'll get a failure code for the whole test, but no other information.

Don't need no fancy code reader if you can count up to 9.  Since you have a CEL, you can initiate the test and watch the CEL blink.  All it takes is a pape clip to jumper STI to ground.  Grab your favorite beverage, have a seat, turn on the key, and count the blinks of the CEL.

FINALLY!!!! :bowdown: thx thx thx thx thx
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L