Skip to main content
Topic: Stumped: 88XR7 Starts but stalls at temp - HELP!! (Read 2494 times) previous topic - next topic

Stumped: 88XR7 Starts but stalls at temp - HELP!!

I have an 88 cougar XR7 that is stock except the air silencer removal...Recently, the car will get up or near running temp. and will stall out...Some times I will be able to get it started again, but it always dies again shortly after that (1-2miles).  After that, it will rest for 45mins or so and will start up after that. 

The problem seemed to start when the car would not start after shutting off the engine following a longer trip on thruway (1 hr drive), and slowed progressed to where the car would randomly die while driving....

I have tried a number of things:
-Coolant flush
-Checked plugs/wires
-Cleaned distributor cap/rotor
-New Ignition Control Module and Pick-up coil (the part inside the distributor)

I just took it for a 3 min ride after rebuilding the distributor and letting it warm up to about 150deg...it stalled and would not start after pulling in a driveway to turn around.  I put the car in reverse after pulling up and it seemed to die then.

Any ideas?? This one has got me stumped..

Thanks in advance!!

Reply #1
have you checked fuel pressure?  sounds like the issue I was having a few months ago,  car would run fine for a while then randomly die.  let it sit for a few (I found that it sped things up if I bled the fuel pressure off)  and it would start and run fine for a little while then do the same thing again.  turns out my fuel pump was randomly deciding to lock up.  new pump fixed the problem.

Reply #2
does it loose power fast before it dies? or just dies suddenly?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3
my hyundai did something like this and it turned out to be the thermostat locked up solid and would literally stop the engine when it got up to temp. didnt notice it untill i ran it with the radiator cap off.
also, is your temp reading based off the factory guage?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

more...

Reply #4
it seems to loose power before hand, but it has happened before when it just dies as well...

..also, when it was about to die once (check engine came on and it started to stall/die out), i gave it some throttle and it kicked back and apparently had sooty exhaust but then it died again a couple minutes down the road...

..I have been noticing it idling a little rough after giving it steady throttle to 3500rpm and letting off..it will shudder a bit while idling but then seems to smooth out..back and forth, shudder-smooth-shudder-smooth, etc...not sure if this is related to the stalling out problem

addl. notes:alternator is 1y6mo old, pwr steering pump is 2mo old, and intake plenum, vacuum lines, and valve cover gaskets are 2mo old...

Reply #5
I have an aftermarket temp gauge with numbers 'cause my dash temp gauge shiznit the bed...I have a fail-safe thermostat in currently so I dont think it is stuck closed, if anything its stuck open because I ran the car with the radiator cap off and there was a constant flow of fluid....

Reply #6
if you have idling problems and it has been bogging out before it dies after it gets to temp. Your cats may be clogged if they're old.(or sat for a long time)

if it feels like it's not getting enough gas. it may be the fuel pump or the pump relay switch fritzing out.

You say it never dies at all when the motor is cold?
It's a xr7 with a stock 5.0?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
stock xr7 with 5.0....it always starts when cold, then dies after getting to 185-195deg...its been a daily driver for about a year and a half...this prob just kinda crept up..

..you mentioned the cats...you mean cat converter?  (sry im a novice)

Reply #8
yes, sorry... that's what I meant.
Have you checked for engine error codes?

I see your my neighbor.;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
i can't really check the codes because it only gets a check engine after it stalls, when it won't read anything...

..replacing the fuel pump pick-up and thermostat this weekend and going from there...will keep updated...thanks for the probable causes!

(yep, in rochester currently..originally from alden)

Reply #10
try a "key on" test first. it'll check all the sensors on the motor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
KOEO - Key On, Engine Off - Make sure you warm the engine first, though.  See www.fordfuelinjection.com for a good description of running this test.  Idling should warm the engine within 10-15 minutes, less if you fast idle (2000 RPM) it.  Warm engine is necessary to prevent ACT and ECT sensor codes.

KOER - Key On, Engine Running (as if the engine could be running without Key On?).  This is a dynamic test, and requires some intervention which varies slightly with the EEC model.  One variation is the BOO (Brake On/Off) test, which is not done on the manual transmission version.  The manual transmission requires turning the steering wheel instead to check the PS pressure switch.  Miss one step, and you'll get a failure code for the whole test, but no other information.

Don't need no fancy code reader if you can count up to 9.  Since you have a CEL, you can initiate the test and watch the CEL blink.  All it takes is a pape clip to jumper STI to ground.  Grab your favorite beverage, have a seat, turn on the key, and count the blinks of the CEL.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #12
try taking the thermostat out and running it, since its right up there on top for shiznits and giggles you see.
for me a fail safe thermostat could still get clogged up with  from your cooling sytem, even if it fails open.
could the coolant temp sensor(not sender) have anything to do with this?

Reply #13
Quote from: Ductape91;290008
try taking the thermostat out and running it, since its right up there on top for shiznits and giggles you see.
for me a fail safe thermostat could still get clogged up with  from your cooling sytem, even if it fails open.
could the coolant temp sensor(not sender) have anything to do with this?

It would be running hot if the thermostat were stuck, clogged, whatever... That ain't the problem...

A t/stat WILL NOT keep one from running, unless it's caused the engine to overheat to the point it seizes... There'd be coolant allover Hell if that were happening...

Reply #14
my hyundai never overheated when the thermostat stuck on it, it would stall out before then. i can see your point but these cars have metal radiators not that poping plastic junk(which the hyundai eventually did after a week of driving it like that).
i confirmed it with a know good and accurate aftermarket guage if it matters.
nothing is "failsafe" as far as im concerned.
im not trying to sling bs here and pass it off as info ya know, just something for him to try that isnt very invasive untill he pulls codes on it.