Skip to main content
Topic: crate engines, why is it.... (Read 1023 times) previous topic - next topic

crate engines, why is it....

why is it, I hear so many people are getting, much more horsepower out of their engines, than the manufacturers of these crate engines are claming to have?

are these engines hopped up more than what manufacturers are building, or is this just the max horse you can realy get out of them?
86 Thunderbird TurboCoupe, 66 289 HI-PO, auto.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hoof beats may be faster than heartbeats, but birds are faster than ponies!

Reply #1
most crate engines are all built using on manufactorers parts. Overall, there are better parts out there. Ford racing uses the ford gt-40X heads. The trickflows flow better. They also use an off the shelf camshaft. Not many camshafts are properly designed for more then one engine setup. If your willing to do alot of good reading, check out sbftech.com.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I'm a member on sbf, but havent realy gotten very far on there yet.  I'm an idiot when it comes to knowing the right parts to put in a motor to get better HP from them. lol

Reply #3
have jay design you a custom cam and tell you what parts to buy. Start out with some trickflows, and if your looking at a new motor, get one from woody. Do alot of reading on that site.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #4
when a motor is built its blueprinted and hand built, crate engines well are on an assembly line but they do have a big name on it and reliable warranty, still nice.

Reply #5
so this guy will sell me a block, design me a cam, and tell me what I need to put in it, just by going off what I tell him I want it do do, as long as its a reasonable request? thats cool.

Reply #6
He will ask you alot of things that you would like. If you want it to run like a raped ape at 5000+ rpm, and have a stock idle, thats all you have to tell him. But I would really think about what parts you want to use. A 302/306 will make better use of almost all parts then a 347/362/392 could. If you want to make over 500 hp, you will want to go with an aftermarket block and internal balancing. You will also have to let him know if you have emissions, and what power level or quarter mile time you are shooting for. You might be better off with a 418/427 351 based block depending on what you want to do.

Don't ask him if you should put an e-cam in it, and tell him you have heard that trickflow heads are better then stock style/inline heads. You also cannot get stuck up on HP numbers. When you read the mustang magizings, they have trouble getting 13's out of 300+ hp. On that board there running mid to low 11's with just over 300hp. You have to remember that hp is just a number. You will also want to rev it alot higher then you would normally feel comfortable with. If the engine and block setup are designed for it it will last fine. Don't even think about going with a 331.

Read alot more on SBFtech. Really. I spend over 24 hours straight on there before I made my first post. After 10 posts the site really opens up to you. I really like the myths and rumors section.

Tell jay that your willing to do what ever he says, if it will make you fast. If you do everything he says, you will have a fast car.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.