Skip to main content
Topic: My latest project (non-fox) (Read 1956 times) previous topic - next topic

My latest project (non-fox)

This is far from a fox body...but it is my latest project.  I work as a JD salesman and scored this at work for $50!  Its a 1973 John Deere 112.  It has the 12 hp Kohler and gear drive transmission.  So far I have about $200 in everything.  I got the rear tires for free, bought a new steering wheel and seat, and the rest was just sanding and painting!  Its been a cheap and fun project.  I've always wanted one of these.  The only thing left to do now is fix the hood.  Its fiberglass and is cracked pretty bad.  Should be a great opportunity to learn how to work on fiberglass...any tips?

'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #1
and some more pics...

I've had  near as much fun tinkering with this as the T-bird...mainly because I have converted it from a clunker to a looker for CHEAP!  ;)
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #2
That's cool, someone really beat the  out of that steering wheel, didn't they
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3
Quote from: daminc;288121
That's cool, someone really beat the  out of that steering wheel, didn't they

Thanks!

Ummm yeah.  I wish I knew how they bent that wheel.  I had to take a torch to it to get the wheel off.  It has been painted before (poorly) and I almost wonder if someone tried getting the wheel off then and bent it somehow.  The steering shaft seems to be OK though!

Reply #4
Cool...looks as thow it will run for another 100yrs. :poke:

Reply #5
Yoiu know for a guy who used to work for Deeres its nice to see a little JD green on here. Nice work!

Reply #6
Fiberglass isn't all that hard to work with. I would use the Epoxy resin instead of the Polyester stuff as the epoxy is a lot easier to work with. You can pick up a little book on working with the stuff at your local West Marine store.

One thing to remember, drill a hole at the ends of each crack. This will keep the crack from running after you make your repairs.

Cool little project!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #7
Thanks guys!

Reply #8
What no tire shine!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #9
You know if you showed that off around here (We have 4 JD factories and 1 Engineering site in my immediate area) you'd have the old JD collectors around here just loving it. I'd say you got a hell of a deal on something you can turn around and sell to a JD collector. What do you plan to do with it?

Reply #10
You are doing great work!

I used to have a 140 and it was a nice tractor.  When the stock 14hp engine went out I put a 2 cly 18hp B&S in it.  That gave it lots of power in tall grass. 

Have fun.

TED

Reply #12
looks great!!!!  :bowdown:
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #13
Quote from: Kitz Kat;288210
What no tire shine!

lol. That will be the final thing I do...got to get the hood done 1st!

Reply #14
Quote from: 86XR7project;288211
You know if you showed that off around here (We have 4 JD factories and 1 Engineering site in my immediate area) you'd have the old JD collectors around here just loving it. I'd say you got a hell of a deal on something you can turn around and sell to a JD collector. What do you plan to do with it?

I thought about selling it...I could turn a mean profit!  Right now I have around $300 in everything and could probably get $1200 at least.  But, I will probably use this one to pull my lawn sweeper, lawn roller, etc.  It does have a deck that is in good shape so when I relocate and get a bigger yard, I can always mow with it too.

Thief! You stole my wheel covers!

lol...nabbed those babies for $20!!  I think they look great on there (and on yours too).