Skip to main content
Topic: MY '87 460 Turbo Coupe....with a Procharger (Read 15260 times) previous topic - next topic

MY '87 460 Turbo Coupe....with a Procharger

Well, I finially made a decision on which way I want to go with my 87 TC 460.  After debating on the turbo ideas I had, I went the belted boost route.  :burnout:

The 512 cu. in. shortblock is being built right now and this winter I hope to find the time to assemble the combo with a D1B Procharger I recently aquired.
The kit is for a BB Chevy and since the harmonic balancer on my 512 BBF is already a  3 bolt BBC design, the crank pulley after machining the center hole larger slips right on.

The pics show the blower and BBC bracket sitting in a position that should be real close to the final setup.

The blower mounting itself looks easily do-able, but to make it even more difficult, I want to retain my 17 inch flexfan and standard water pump set-up. That part I am real nervous about because there is not much room between the bottom of the water pump and the top of the crank pulley. The angle will have to right to clear the pump.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the car will retain it's same outward appearance (with stock wheels) as in the top pic. :D...I like sleepers.

Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #1
You did a very nice looking install there, I have not seen the 460 this low in the compartment before.  The charger should make a very nice addition with power always on demand.

Do you have a link where you did the install of the engine?  Have you been to the track with this set-up, still running the 3.55 gears?  What is the bump in the upper radiator hose?

TED

Reply #2
Thats alot of motor for one of those cars,,id be at the track every weekend or just out town red light racing all the ppl.who "thought" they were fast
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1979 Mercury Cougar X R 7
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #3
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500;287461
You did a very nice looking install there, I have not seen the 460 this low in the compartment before.  The charger should make a very nice addition with power always on demand.

Do you have a link where you did the install of the engine?  Have you been to the track with this set-up, still running the 3.55 gears?  What is the bump in the upper radiator hose?

TED

Thanks. The engine in the pics is the same old worn out 460 engine that we have bracket raced for years and has over 2,000 passes. I am still bracket racing that car until the end of this season, but I can use the car for mock up and measurements for now.

That engine sits low due to some custom solid motor mounts, 1/2 inch k-member spacers, and a van C-6 trans mount. It is also moved all the way back against the firewall.
I will have to lower the engine another 1/4 inch to clear the blow thru hat, but I don't see that as a big deal.
For now it uses the stock 87 TC k-member, and I really do not want to go to an aftermarket k-member for clearance.

The factory 3.55 gears remain. The upper radiator hose has an inline filter and it works well, but I cannot find anymore of those.
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto

Reply #4
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the car will retain it's same outward appearance (with stock wheels) as in the top pic.:D ...I like sleepers.

Ah it sounds like my T-bird, but with a hell of a lot bigger engine :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
So I take it that you race 1/8 mile mostly?  2000 passes is a pretty good job for a "old worn out engine".

Maybe I should have lowered the crossmember in mine, I really like how you can run the stock fan.  Overall I think the Cadillac 500 and Ford 460 are about the same size, but the Cadillac is 100 pounds plus lighter.  But you still say you got it down to 3400 pounds or so.

TED

Reply #6
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500;287513
So I take it that you race 1/8 mile mostly?  2000 passes is a pretty good job for a "old worn out engine".

Maybe I should have lowered the crossmember in mine, I really like how you can run the stock fan.  Overall I think the Cadillac 500 and Ford 460 are about the same size, but the Cadillac is 100 pounds plus lighter.  But you still say you got it down to 3400 pounds or so.

TED

Ted:
Yes, we run 1/8th. We started racing that engine in 1996 and have put an average of 190 runs a year on it, except for 2 seasons. That engine is amazing. The fact that it still runs really surprises me. (oil pressure gauge jumps around all over the place)...lol

The car weighs 3400 with the stock snowflakes and cast iron exhaust manifolds and water pump. (w/out driver)
Of course that TC went on a huge diet in 2005 when I was building it as an IHRA-NHRA Stock Eliminator racer. Everything non-essential behind the dash is missing. However, I did retain the heater and blower.

Overall, I am tickled that it appears I will get what I was looking for in that everything will fit under the stock hoodline.

Now I need to tuck the exhaust up against the floor pan....hello OVAL exhaust tubing ! :D
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto

Reply #7
As much of a sleeper as it looks you wont be able to hide that slight whistle and exhaust! lol

nice job on getting that thing in there! Cant wait to see/hear it done! Good luck
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #8
nice i want to see how it runs whats the fasted time slip for all motor on your car???
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #9
Mmmmmm blower whine, I love that sound. My M90 gives me a bit, I'd like to have my silencers removed so I can have the whole effect.

Reply #10
If I'm not mistaken, I recall you having modified TRX wheels on this car. Or do you have two red TC's?
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Reply #11
Sweet job. Can't wait to see the finished product.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #12
Quote from: RunninWild;287751
If I'm not mistaken, I recall you having modified TRX wheels on this car. Or do you have two red TC's?

Check out his sig. He has a few cars. The TRX style "rims" he has are basically hubcaps. They look  good though. He also has two cars with a 460 in it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
460+ blowa=TEH SECKS!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #14
Quote from: RunninWild;287751

Same Car.

I have 4 different sets of wheel/tires for that car. I change wheels and tires like some women change shoes. ...lol
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto