Skip to main content
Topic: tranny swap question (Read 2383 times) previous topic - next topic

tranny swap question

I am working on my new TC project and I have come to the part where I am searching for an AOD to go behind the 5.0. now the car is floor shifted and I plan to keep it that way.  so here is my question, when swapping from the A4LD to AOD is it plug and play or am I going to have to go deeper and change mroe things? and will any AOD work for this swap or will it have to be tbird/cougar specific?

tranny swap question

Reply #1
You will need a v-8 aod. not sure if the shifter will work it has an extra detent in it. and I think the drive shaft may be to short. plus you will need to hook up a tv cable for the aod.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

tranny swap question

Reply #2
Also cable is different on the A4LD shifter vs the AOD, levers are different on column shift AOD vs floor shift... A Stang AOD is the better transmission, the ones from Super Coupes are best, but lever is different from the Fox chassis AOD... Can be modified to work, I drilled mine out so the Fox bushing would fit...

tranny swap question

Reply #4
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;286593
Also cable is different on the A4LD shifter vs the AOD

what is different about it? are you talking about the shifter cable or the TV cable?

tranny swap question

Reply #5
The column shift levers are at a different angle than floor shift levers... Will have to open the transmission and swap levers from a floor shift AOD...

Cable adjustment is at transmission lever on the A4LD and and on the shifter lever for a AOD(or was it other way around?)... Anyway the A4LD shifter parts won't fit a AOD without modification, not sure it's possible as already mentioned the A4LD shifter has a extra detent... Also need the shifter cable bracket for a AOD(bolts on rear of tranny at extension housing)

TV cable levers bolt on externally, most are same...

tranny swap question

Reply #6
when the last owners removed the tranny they left everything as far as the cable backet that bolts to the tail shaft and the TV cable is there.  I might have to make something to make the crown vic one work funds are really tight.

tranny swap question

Reply #7
I don't think a A4LD bracket will bolt to a AOD at least not without modifications...

tranny swap question

Reply #8
If you do get a column shift aod you can turn the shift arm 180 to make it work for floor shift, its not hard and free.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

tranny swap question

Reply #9
Excellent thread...I'm getting a Crown Vic AOD this evening to swap in place of my ailing AOD.  I'll need to do the "shifter arm flip mod".  Any tips?
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

tranny swap question

Reply #10
we are going to get our AOD this evening. thanks for confirming the 180 flip kitz I had heard this but wasnt sure if it would work.

tranny swap question

Reply #11
question about the shifter shaft flip.  how is this done exactly?  from what I see I am going to have to pull the shaft out completely and make some changes.

tranny swap question

Reply #12
Take the pan off, There's a big nut near the end of the shaft, I think a 1" wrench fits it, don't remember. loosen it enough and you will be able to flip it around. once you get in there you will see how it works. It's quite simple.

tranny swap question

Reply #13
Are you needing an aod shifter for a Tbird? Trans bracket, or all of it..or..?

PM me with what ya need ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6