Skip to main content
Topic: Lowering springs.... again (Read 2788 times) previous topic - next topic

Lowering springs.... again

I know this has been beaten to death. But I have to ask. Who makes lowering springs for an '87 TBird 5.0. I've used the search feature here and found references to springs from a Bullitt and a Mach1. Also, I saw a post where someone said they are running Steeda springs. What works? I would like to lower the car about 2 inches. Currently, it looks like a 4 wheel drive.

Thanks in advance

Reply #1
I used stock SN-95 springs and they lowered my Sport about two inches.The V-8 and GT springs are the same from all I've read.My springs came from a '99 Stang.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Thanks for the info. Does the car sit level with these springs or does it nose up a little? Also, did you notice any negative handling characteristics after the swap? Because I know where I can pickup a set of SN95 springs CHEAP. This may be the next project.

Reply #3
It looks pretty level.I have air shocks,and keep just enough air in them to barely put any lift on the rear.As far as handling,it handles great.The springs were a direct swap.I am swapping to Stang shocks eventually (I have ChuckW shock adapters which allow shorter Stang shocks on our cars).But for now,air shocks are it.They work great as well,and come in really handy when I take the Sport to get a lot of groceries.Once you install SN-95 springs,it couldn't hurt to have the alignment checked.I had to,but,I also swapped control arms and strut mounts.Still,it'll probably need to be tweeked a little.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Maybe you can see the difference...........

Before...

After....There is a 2 inch drop that I measured....

Reply #5
Vin, I like the clean nose on your car...shagy
Raleigh, NC.

Reply #6
Wow, that's a great looking car! I like the grey wheels with the green body color, it works well. Thanks for the info and pictures, thats exactly what I'm looking for. The car has new KYB's all the way around, the previous owner installed them. Don't mind putting air shocks on the rear if I need to. But, I'll probably see how it sits with the existing setup first. I already sent an email to a guy who knows a guy that has some springs... So, we'll see what I can turn up.

Thanks again

Jason

Reply #7
You shouldn't need new shocks,I'm just using what I have for the moment.

Reply #8
Quote from: 04FordHarleyF250;286286
Vin, I like the clean nose on your car...shagy

Thanks a lot.I wanted a stock header panel,but I found this aftermarket replacement panel for $75.00 brand new.Couldn't pass it up.I had a hole busted in the other one.The other day I installed my Turbo Coupe front license plate frame and a new "Thunderbird" tag (black with a chrome Bird and the word "Thunderbird" under that....Nice.).I needed a Bird up front since my header panel doen't have one anymore.

Reply #9
Well, I dug up a set of SN95 springs already. They are from a 98 GT, best part is the price. $50.00 for the set. My Wife and I go to alot of cruise ins and we always hang out with guys in the local Mustang club. So I knew finding the springs wouldnt be a problem. Now the fun part, installing them. BTW, I just noticed the Mach1 chin spoiler on your car. It fits the car so well that I didnt see it at first. Hmmm, I know a guy that has spare one of those also. Guess whats going on the car this weekend?

Thanks again

Reply #10
just be careful removing & installing those springs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
Daminc, very true. Fortunately I have access to a shop and some tools... and expertise. Ya cant put a price on expertise, so hopefully I can have this done this weekend. Or maybe next weekend, we'll see. Heck, after seeing the pictures of your project and your shop.... WOW! I would love to have a space like that. Maybe in the next house, right now all we have is a driveway and borrowed shop space from a few friends. I'll post some before and after pics as soon as I can

I appreciate everyones input, lots of great info here.

Thanks again

Reply #12
it has been said on cool cats thats sn95 convertible car springs are recommended  did you use those vinnie? or non convertible    you think it would make a difference?  Also i assume i should get v6 car sn95 springs since i have the 3.8 

Another point i was planning on using kyb shocks  did you hear good comments on them vinnie?    Ive read about chuck W  shock adapter  is this very useful or is it not really necessary? 

sorry for bombarding you of questions but your discussion gentlemen was leading exactly to what i was wondering

Reply #13
1986Elan, please feel free to jump in. I think everyone can learn something from the discussion here. I have KYB's on the vehicle now, not sure what model they are though. They were put on by the previous owner. The car seems to handle well enough now. I'll post here after I swap the springs to let you know if the ride or handling changes any.

thanks again

Jason

Reply #14
thank you very much Jason  do you feel like the car handles better with kyb shpen 15s over the stock ones?