20th anniv 5.0 coug , 87

changed the oil
removed old filter
noticed filter was "light" so to speak
lifted filter out through the top of the engine bay
dumped it into my drain pan

no oil came out

what does this tell you?

I have no knocking and digital dash shows about 4-5 bars of oil pres.

Not sure what to make of this since the oil filter naturally should have something in it.  It was not clean as a whistle on the inside as i saw oil residue, im lost on what this may be telling me.

this is not a normal thing as i have always gotten atleast have a filter full of oil out of an old one due to the way the filter mounts.

oil filter empty

Reply #1
I had this happen once on my old TC engine, but I wasnt sure of what to make of it since the oil pressure was normal.

oil filter empty

Reply #2
Could be a bad check valve in the filter (or oil pump) allowing it to drain when the engine is shut off...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

oil filter empty

Reply #3
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;285925
Could be a bad check valve in the filter (or oil pump) allowing it to drain when the engine is shut off...

prob in the filter then wouldnt you think?

due to the way the filter mounts, there's always an amount of oil that stays inside it.

does the oil come in to the middle then eject out around the outter perimeter or visa versa?

I figured i could test with compressed air if the oil enters the middle first then goes out the sides.

oil filter empty

Reply #4
I do believe that the oil enter through the little holes then it comes out through the center hole. IF you look at your oil filter closely you can see they have  a rubber flapper over the smaller holes on the ones with the anti brain back valve. The only thing that I can think for having an empty filter would be that the filter is clogged. When that happens the oil pressure over comes the spring pressure inside the filter. The filter portion lifts up and lets the oil pass though unfiltered. Still think there would be some in the filter.  Maybe once it over came the spring pressure it pen 15ed or shifted inside the can and got stuck in that position, or even your using a filter without the anti drain back valve. Hard to guess over the net. If anything Cut the thing open and find out what really went on in there. Hell even get some pics and post them up and what you found!

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

oil filter empty

Reply #5
x100000 especially seeing as Kingcars had the same thing come up and that was on an engine that DID smoke its bearings!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

oil filter empty

Reply #6
+2 on the anti-drainback valve in the filter.

oil filter empty

Reply #7
Quote from: softtouch;285962
+2 on the anti-drainback valve in the filter.

Agreed.  Hook up an oil pressure gauge to see just how much pressure you have....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

oil filter empty

Reply #8
Problem is the check valve in the bottom of the filter, common issue, in most types you can see it if you look into the opening... Oil enters the small opening and exits out the center(more media surface to trap contaminates)...  Oil pump really doesn't have a check valve, just a pressure relief valve if OP is too high on cold start up...

oil filter empty

Reply #9
what brand oil filter is it im a wix guy please tell me it wasn’t a wix

oil filter empty

Reply #10
Quote from: Innes;286009
what brand oil filter is it im a wix guy please tell me it wasn’t a wix

im taking odds it was a flim flam "fram" cheapo oil filter, all orange and black yuck.

i personally have never seen an oil filter without a significant amount of oil left in it when removed and ive taken them off of quite a few different cars in many different postitions and such, i would be very concerned if i did.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

oil filter empty

Reply #11
Was the engine warm when you did the oil change? If so oil should be in the filter. Every filter I take off has some oil in it and I always, always, use Motorcraft filters.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.