Skip to main content
Topic: Cash for clunkers...FINAL NUMBERS 9-26-09 (Read 8930 times) previous topic - next topic

Cash for clunkers...FINAL NUMBERS 9-26-09

Reply #90
I'd say the numbers were seriously fornicateked for several models...

Mark VIII, only two '96, one '97 and all the other years were from 120 to 187???

Only year Town car traded was 1994 and there were 694??? Yeaah right, our government at it's finest...

From what I saw when I checked MPG numbers, many of the ones listed didn't qualify, including my '93 Grand Marquis... But apparently someone traded at least one in(and two '92 that also didn't qualify)... I'll bet some dealers eat a bunch of trade ins...

Reply #91
Buick GNX 1987 1

YOU  CAN JUST ROT IN HELL!!!!
Who ever traded that in DIE!!!

Reply #92
i am kind of laughing about the rolls royce lol makes ya wonder... WHAT were they thinking?

Reply #93
Quote from: bhazard;292650
...its FOUR YEARS OLD and was what, 30,000+ then???

$40,000+ when new. Very bizarre, indeed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #94
The 20th anny Trans Am would be a shame too. Those were very rare and very fast (Buick GN drivetrain). I've gotta wonder at the eligibility of some of those models. Would a '99 Cougar really get worse mileage than Tom's '93 Grandma Marquis, which didn't qualify?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #95
How about the 97 Aston Martin DB7? or the Rolls Royce Continental R, or the 6 Maserati BiTurbos, or the 2 Roush F150s? That program hurt more than it helped....

Reply #96
The thing that made the least sense to me is why KIA, Toyota, Honda and all these other foreign manufactures got Cash for their "Clunkers". I was under the assumption that this was supposed to help our economy not puppiesans, Korea's, or Germany's.

Reply #97
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o;292823
The thing that made the least sense to me is why KIA, Toyota, Honda and all these other foreign manufactures got Cash for their "Clunkers". I was under the assumption that this was supposed to help our economy not puppiesans, Korea's, or Germany's.

Fact is they have plants here who employ Americans. I thought the same thing at first.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #98
Anyone here noticed the Hybrid car that got crushed?

Reply #99
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o;292823
There's a lot more to a manufacturer's economic footprint than just where the car's actually built or where the company's head office is. All manufacturers contribute significantly to local economies regardless where the car is actually made. Salesmen, mechanics, parts guys, lot boys, dealership administration, etc are all local jobs provided by any manufacturer. Then there are the spin-offs: advertising (on radio, TV, and newspaper), sponsorships, charities, training, property taxes, building maintenance (snow plowing, lawn mowing, building contsruction, upgrades & repair), etc. Even supposedly non-related businesses that are near the dealership gain: Lunch truck drivers, fast food restaurants, etc. S single dealership, depending on its size, can contribute to dozens or even hundreds of jobs.

That being said, I still think the whole C4C thing was a travesty, not just for the fact that over half a million perfectly good cars were destroyed, but because government (and by extension, taxpayers) shouldn't be subsidizing private citizens buying new cars. I was sooooooo glad the Canadian government decided not to follow in the US gov't footsteps. And the funny thing is that since the gov't decided not to do C4C many dealerships started their own programs - in other words, the industry is funding its own bailout, exactly what should have happened in the USA.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #100
i'm still curious as to how stupid the people are going to feel when they cannot afford to make the payments with the way the economy is and lose their new cars.....personally i would rather have a car thats paid off and i have NO chance of loseing than a car that i have to pay a $500 a month car payment and one missed payment is BYE BYE new car
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #101
holy  look at all those explorer engines we lost
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #102
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;292879
i'm still curious as to how stupid the people are going to feel when they cannot afford to make the payments with the way the economy is and lose their new cars.....personally i would rather have a car thats paid off and i have NO chance of loseing than a car that i have to pay a $500 a month car payment and one missed payment is BYE BYE new car

That was EXACTLY the problem with the C4C program.  Either the people that used it could and KNEW they could afford a new car payment, or the ones that THOUGHT they could are in for a real screwing.  It was just bad business altogether.  Not only will the ones that THOUGHT they could afford it in trouble, but the one they traded in can't even be put back on the road.  It'll be good for drivetrain (excluding engine) parts, and body parts, but that's it.  Meanwhile, some kid out there needs a car they can afford to drive, and won't have to buy full coverage insurance for.  They're simply not available until the next round of hand-me-downs from the rich folkshiznit the market.

There is no cure for stupid, and this government is proving it.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #103
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;292879

Been saying that since day one.

Idiots
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #104
Look at the bright side...I wonder just how many Obama bumper stickers C4C took off the road...:burnout:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~