Skip to main content
Topic: Cash for clunkers...FINAL NUMBERS 9-26-09 (Read 8932 times) previous topic - next topic

Cash for clunkers...FINAL NUMBERS 9-26-09

I was cruising thru one of the local car lots and saw alot of vehicles on the back lot. In the back of the group I saw what was a 85 or 86 Cougar in beautiful shape. Definitely garage kept and since it had a digital dash I couldn't see the mileage.

It took me about 3 minutes until I figured out what the " C4C stood for on all the windshields...cash for clunkers.

Made me sick when I saw that Cougar and if I am correct don't all of the C4C vehicles have to be crushed ?

The saddest part is that this is only the beginning....

Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #1
Man thats a clean car!

I think you are right they do have to be crushed. I know they can never be put back on the road. Thats sad that someone turned that in for $4500 towards a new car they are going to have to make payments on.
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #2
On the other hand you never know what it needed for work. I agree it is sad, luckily for me there wont be any 87-88 birds or cougars crushed, they don't qualify anymore. :)

Reply #3
:shakehead :eek: nothing else need be said except :bs: :toilet: :punchballs: :beatyoass:

Reply #4
The cost of our hobby will increase.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #5
brings a tear to my eye that was a sweet cougar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #6
Thats sad...would have made some 16 yr old kid one hell of a 1st car.  I guess all of our cars are just a little bit rarer now. 

Living in the rust belt I cringe at the thought of all the rust free cars being demolished out west.  s don't know how good they have it.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #7
I posted these pics on a Mustang site and one of the jerks responded "it's just a Cougar"

Maybe, but it is just a REAL CLEAN Cougar that will be crushed. I mean this car's plastic lenses and glass on the car have a great shine on it !

It would be totally different if it was all clapped out.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #8
Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;285013
I posted these pics on a Mustang site and one of the jerks responded "it's just a Cougar"

Maybe, but it is just a REAL CLEAN Cougar that will be crushed. I mean this car's plastic lenses and glass on the car have a great shine on it !

It would be totally different if it was all clapped out.

heres one from a local lot show this to them...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #9
LOL.... man thats too nice to crush.. you should take it!!!! j/k
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #10
Has a third brake lamp, so it's a '86... I haven't looked, but seems a SEFI 5.0 would make better mileage than the program's minimum requirements, guess it could be a 3.8... My friggin '93 Grand Marquis doesn't qualify... I'd trade em...

I just checked and neither the '86 5.0 or 3.8 with AOD qualify... The 3.8 with C5 auto tranny does qualify, at 18mpg...

Better go look at it closely, maybe they screwed up and is a AOD car...

Reply #11
Based on the wheel covers, I would imagine it's a 3.8/C5 car. Still, it looks like it has a rock-solid body.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
That really sucks.

You should get a line on what yard it is headed for  since AFAIK they can sell parts off the car before they crush it.

Reply #13
I'll be blunt here. Would YOU....any of you pay 4500 for that car?

If it had very much sentimental value to me, I'd keep it...if it was a high mileage 3.8 car with mechanical issues...AND I had the money for new car payments, AND insurance...you goded right I'd trade it in. Right now I don't have a reliable vehicle I can call my own, but if I did, no, I would'nt trade it. It's all about what the  (former) owner is going through. And, as it's been said on this board a million-and-one times, to most of the general population, these cars we call Foxes are just an old 80's 2 door car, mostly imprcatical to todays multi-children families. Then the added maintenance of a 20something year old vehicle, and they're usually not fit for a daily driver.

I know I'm gonna ruffle feathers as soon as I hit the "post reply", but realize most people don't give a flying shag about our favorite cars. Yes, it is a shame, and it is reality.

Now, can someone legally acquire a "c4c" car after it's been....turned in, for lack of better words?

BTW, that IS a  nice Cougar, be nice to drop in my HO, T5, and Turbines, and call it a cruiser...:mad:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #14
I knew this was whole C4C thing was gonna end up more bad than good.

And the "Car"nage begins...
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~