Skip to main content
Topic: AOD not shifting into "D" and "OD" (Read 1151 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD not shifting into "D" and "OD"

After some tinkering with the new (to me) T-bird today I took her for a little ride.  It's an '88 5.0L/AOD Sport.  I noticed this problem the other day on the inagural ride but did not think much of it.  The AOD is not shifting into drive or overdrive.  It pulls good in first and second but will not upshift beyond that.

If placed in either the D or OD position it will run through first and second then hold in second gear.  If I let off the throttle to coast it will drop RPMs like it upshifted but when leaning back on the pedal the RPMs climb up and its still in second gear.

Now I've only messed with C4 autos so I'm not versed on the AODs at all.  I checked the fluid level and it was fine...looks as though it could use a changing.  Could drive and overdrive be gone?  Or is something out of adjustment?  The car sat (garaged) for almost six years before I bought it.  Is something froze up possibly?

I have a place to get another AOD at minimal expense but would like to figure out of this is terminal or fixable firest.

Thanks!
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #1
Check the TV cable (throttle valve or "kick down" cable) at the throttlebody and make sure it's hooked up and tight in place.I've had that problem twice,and twice I ended up having to replace the tranny.After that,5 speed.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Quote from: vinnietbird;284990
Check the TV cable (throttle valve or "kick down" cable) at the throttlebody and make sure it's hooked up and tight in place.I've had that problem twice,and twice I ended up having to replace the tranny.After that,5 speed.

Decent how to vid:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw&feature=channel_page

also check the linkage at the tranny where the TV cable hooks up, and make sure it is not binding.

Reply #3
He's shifting into 2nd, but not 3rd and 4th

I'd be suspecting the inner input shaft....

A good read on it here:
http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
Demon....excellent read!  Thanks!

So...if that is the case, will it hurt anything to run errands around town or short cruises with only first and second gear?  Of course, it will eat more fuel and run the RPMs higher...but other than that?  I'm used to running 3.55's w/ a three speed so the 3.08's and a two speed seems tame to me!  ;)

BTW...I'm planning a T5 swap...so this tranny has its days numbered anyhow.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.