Skip to main content
Topic: Headers full-lenght fitment for 5.0l (Read 674 times) previous topic - next topic

Headers full-lenght fitment for 5.0l

I have a T-bird -88 with 5.0l.
I'm looking for a set of full-length headers to replace the Ford racing shorty headers.
I know that there is problem with fitment of some of the shorty headers for mustang due to different motor mounts.
Any one that knows for fact which full-length headers that will fit.

Reply #1
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88360/
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #2
I have long tubes on mine with no issues, but I have a T-5.  An automatic with a column shift linkage may be in the way.  Others on the site may chime in and confirm it.

The link to the headers in the post above have 1.5" primary tubes.  If it's a stock engine and will remain stock they are fine.  If the engine has performance upgrades (or will), 1 5/8" primaries are a better choice.

Reply #3
Quote from: 86T-bird;284671
I have long tubes on mine with no issues, but I have a T-5.  An automatic with a column shift linkage may be in the way.  Others on the site may chime in and confirm it.

The link to the headers in the post above have 1.5" primary tubes.  If it's a stock engine and will remain stock they are fine.  If the engine has performance upgrades (or will), 1 5/8" primaries are a better choice.

True. The reason I posted the link is cause they're direct fit for t-birds and cougars.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #4
Thanks for the answers.
I need the 1 5/8 primary tubes.
I have been loking at the BBK headers, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-1516/

I have no issues with column shifter, have a T56.

Reply #5
flowtech headers fit nicely. a little pita to change a starter BUT they fit. and you have to run the steering shaft through the 4th primary on the driver side. and heatem up and tweak the collector so it actually points where its sopposed to go.

Reply #6
I want to see some pics now.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com