Skip to main content
Topic: 17/18-Inch 10-Holes??? (Read 2613 times) previous topic - next topic

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Sorry if this is a repost.

From the same guys that make the 17-inch Ponies.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1099961

I tell you what... if they EVER make a set of 17-inch turbines I will blow up the 401k if necessary to get a set. But hopefully it won't come to that. :D
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #1
I'd love a set (or 2) of 17" Turbines...even 16" would be nice, and in 5 lug to boot...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #2
Imagine 17" snowflakes...with 13" Cobra brakes underneath :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #3
The rims pictured in that 3D rendering look about as much like 10-holes as my dog's b-hole does. Swing and a miss.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #4
Maybe we should read the whole thing before you SLAM on it!

" We are still working on this wheel. Just trying to reduce weight a little and
get the window areas, "holes" right. I would like to show you guys a 3D version in a few days to see what you think.

Thanks.

And here is a link to the fourth page where he says that and promises a updated rendering in a few days. http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1099961&page=71  I like the idea just want them to look Correct.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #5
That's why I said Turbines...

They'd be more likely to remain true(r) to the original...ie: they wouldn't look "stretched", per-se.

Gonna be very interesting to see what the finished result looks like...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #6
Quote from: ipsd;284600
Maybe we should read the whole thing before you SLAM on it!

" We are still working on this wheel. Just trying to reduce weight a little and
get the window areas, "holes" right. I would like to show you guys a 3D version in a few days to see what you think.

Thanks.

And here is a link to the fourth page where he says that and promises a updated rendering in a few days. http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1099961&page=71  I like the idea just want them to look Correct.

Stuckman

Au Contraire, jump-to-conclusions-breath, but I did read the entire thread, every post in it, actually hoping to see an updated (and better looking) image. If YOU had read the thread you'd note that I am not the only one who thinks they look nothing like 10-holes. Real 10-holes do not have a "deep dish" look, and the holes themselves look like D's, not flower petals like those on this concept. I realize the holes would have to be stretched to accomodate the larger rim size, but the lip is entirely unneccesary. I stand by my first statement: Those wheels look absolutely NOTHING like 10-holes. The whole point of doing a retro-styled wheel would be to keep the retro styling. Swing and a miss.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #7
I completely agree with Carm. I think it's a great idea but I also think that there is no reason to have a lip that large. It also seems to me that they should be building them in 17" first not 18".
Maybe I'm wrong here but I would think that 90% of the people that would want a larger size 10-hole wheel are those with 1993 and older Mustangs & Capri's, 1988 and older T-bird/Cougars, and any other "older" Fox owner since they look "right" on those cars.
The biggest issue most of us have is when we convert to 5-lug and put larger Cobra brakes on our cars. We are then required to purchase wheels that are really made for the wider fendered '94-'04 Mustangs. The rears fit fine, but most of the time the fronts are pushed out too far unless you go with 8" wide wheels, but that seems to severely limit your choices.

I would like to see them make a 17" version of the 10-hole wheel that uses the factory cap (which it appears they are going to) but limit the lip to a minimum if at all. Maintain the stock appearance as much as possible.
From what I am reading though, the designer of this wheel has a different agenda.

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #8
I........ did not read all 4 pages, but the deep recess of the face, looks all wrong.

The shape of the holes could be adjusted a little to make it better, but the recessed face kills it for me.
Mike

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #9
They look about as ugly as my "phone dial" 8 hole wheels.

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #10
I think its funny how there was like exactly ONE guy who didnt like him....and everyone else slammed him for thinking so. And yet here weve got multiple people that took one look and went, WAT? I know I sure did. Absolutely right..."18 inch ten hole" evokes the thought of a larger example of a specific design already made.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #11
I have one word for them: Turbine :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #12
Quote from: thunderjet302;284669

You ed right! :bowdown:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;284669

I agree 100%!

17/18-Inch 10-Holes???

Reply #14
I think a turbine would lend itself to stretching far better than the 10-holes. The 10-hole concept looks like a flower because the holes are elongated so much they look like flower petals. Turbines wouldn't have that problem. Now, cleaning them, that'd be a different story :hick:

I think turbines might lend themselves to the "deep dish" look a bit better than 10-holes, too...