Skip to main content
Topic: What cool shop tools have you made? (Read 1807 times) previous topic - next topic

What cool shop tools have you made?

I don't know if this qualifies as a tool or not, but I use it in my shop almost every day. It's out of an 87/88 Bird. I mounted wheels on the bottom and it works awesome. I use it for brake jobs, rear ends, shocks and things like that. I've also used it in full recline for taping the lower part of my truck off before paint. Sometimes I just sit in it like a regular chair when something good comes on TV (which, sadly, is not too often). I'm always reading manuals or something sitting in it because we all know how comfortable Bird seats are! Plus, I even have a can cooler built in to hold my favorite "beverages". Considering I use it so much and I've got almost nothing into it, it's actually one of my best investments. Whatcha got?
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #1
Mike u never sece to amaze me . the only cool thing i got is a B.F.H. to releave stress on an old lawn mower .lol:evilgrin:

Reply #2
Not really a tool, but we bent intercooler piping with a 2002 Dodge Turbo diesel, the back of a bobcat and some large U channel.  It worked surprisingly well. 

Actually that was pretty hillbilly.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #3
I got my shaper table for making cabinet doors and mouldings.
it's got a spot for my surface planner, storage shelves and I also have a jointer/planer on the side next to the surface planer.

Then I have this, that's going into my new shop

I'm almost done wiring it up.

used an old VCR case for the electronics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
Jerry why you slackin'? You shoulda had that CNC running months ago ;) You have everything for it, it's not like you're busy with anything else LOL

Reply #5
Quote from: baxo;284487
Jerry why you slackin'? You shoulda had that CNC running months ago ;) You have everything for it, it's not like you're busy with anything else LOL

LOL
Speaking of slacking....

Edit:
This will be it's new home
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
so.. dude, do you ever sleep?

Reply #7
Well, I have a few tools I made in college. A C-clamp out of a block of aluminum, a drift pin, drill index block, brass hammer. Nothing all that special.

Reply #8
Quote from: Blackout;284470
Not really a tool, but we bent intercooler piping with a 2002 Dodge Turbo diesel, the back of a bobcat and some large U channel.  It worked surprisingly well. 

Actually that was pretty hillbilly.

Okay, if you want hillbilly, how about this? I totaled my 68 Torino by putting it broadside into a telephone pole, which bent up the rear seat bottom. I wanted to reupholster it in black to use in my 69 Torino, but how to bend it back down? Answer, lay it under a Turbo Coupe with no motor, wrap a chain around it and pull it straight with a cherry picker. Hillbilly, but it worked great!

Reply #9
Quote from: FLSTCI71;284565
Okay, if you want hillbilly, how about this? I totaled my 68 Torino by putting it broadside into a telephone pole, which bent up the rear seat bottom. I wanted to reupholster it in black to use in my 69 Torino, but how to bend it back down? Answer, lay it under a Turbo Coupe with no motor, wrap a chain around it and pull it straight with a cherry picker. Hillbilly, but it worked great!

I could have thought of ten other ways of going about that one, that was funny who was that guys name who made a small project a big one. You know with the mouse traps

Reply #10
Quote from: FLSTCI71;284565

Next time you come down can I have that red Turbo Coupe? ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
Quote from: Innes;284625
I could have thought of ten other ways of going about that one, that was funny who was that guys name who made a small project a big one. You know with the mouse traps

Please share a few of your ideas with me as I would love to hear them.

Quote from: thunderjet302;284697
Next time you come down can I have that red Turbo Coupe? ;)

Sure, for junk price, it's yours.  I need it out of my yard. As soon as I get my trailer back, that TC is the next one going to the s yard. Oh, I am planning on pulling the front springs for you before I s it, if you still want them for $10.

Reply #12
I don't need the springs now as the 03-04 Cobra control arms lowered the nose about 1/2". Plus my stock springs are minty and I'm afraid that the TC springs might lower the front too much ;)

How bad is that red TC? I know where I can get a roller 302 and a T5 cheap.......what the heck is s price now any ways?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;284745
what the heck is s price now any ways?

The bird I just sped was $80
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
Quote from: daminc;284754
The bird I just sped was $80

That sounds about right. The last I checked, it was $75/ton here. I am guessing the burgandy one will go for around $100.