Skip to main content
Topic: wheel demensions (Read 2090 times) previous topic - next topic

wheel demensions

sorry I know this was brought up once but its closed.

I was wondering as to what the demensions of aftermarket wheels could be for the cougar?

was wondering as to how big and wide i can go.
I dont want some stupid 20" wheels with low profile tires that make the car look like some dubbed out cadilac from central.

If anything i would like to go with atleast 17" wheels maybe wide tire?

just wondering about the max demensions that i could fit without rubbing the wells.

thanks everyone.

wheel demensions

Reply #2
so some 17", wide wheels should have no problem fitting onto the cougar? 

looking into trying to find some old 4 lug gt wheels. or the classic centerline wheels.

something 5 spoked.  any wheel suggestions? 
americanmuscle.com had some 4 lug mustang gt wheels that were 5 spoked and were high glass black with a silver lip.
thought those looked kind of nice.

wheel demensions

Reply #3
take a look at my signature pic and ask that question again lol I think the cobra wheels look good..

wheel demensions

Reply #4
Quote from: 88turbo;284303
take a look at my signature pic and ask that question again lol I think the cobra wheels look good..

^.^ those do look real clean.  was wanting to with a high gloss black 5 spoke or that with a silver lip.

there isnt much chrome to my cougar so i thought it may look a little funny unless the car was black.

so i figured black high gloss or anthracite would look best.

any suggestions for wheel websites?

good price?

Reply #5
well i got back from a wheel store recently, and I told the guy I wanted some high gloss black cobra's with a silver lip and deep dish (3" deep good?)  he said he could order them for me at no charge but the final price for tires and wheels would be about $1200.

is that a good price or could i find them cheaper?

wheel demensions

Reply #6
honestly that is about fair considering the price of tires at about $150 each and the wheels at about $600 for all 4 new.  but you might be able to do alittle better than that if you look around on ebay.  that would be my first place of looking. I bought mine from a member here for about 900 plus shipping. I think mine are 17x9"

wheel demensions

Reply #7
lol ya the one thing i was jealous that made me want to get them from that store was that they found the wheels (well the style) that i wanted. 

i know my options are limited since i have to search for a 4 lug.

the best looking ones i've found so far are the mustang cobra replica's i want.

does anyone have a website suggestion for wheels?

so 17'x9'wide would fit no problem at all correct?

main issue im concerned about is the wheel being too big and rubbing the well or being too tall and doing damage if i hit a bump.

thanks for all the advice and info everyone.  learnin alot ^.^

wheel demensions

Reply #8
think i found a set of wheels I like but th eone i want is 1 inch too wide.  however, I did find the same ones size 17x9  but they're not deep dish like i want.

does anyone think deep dish would look decent?
these are what i want but think are too big.

but found them in a size i believe can fit. but arent deep dish.
these are deep dish i believe but hard to tell how deep without seeing them in person.

all wheels i've found are from Latemodelrestoration.com and americanmuscle.com

any thoughts suggestions?

wheel demensions

Reply #9
would there be any types of stores that could measure my wheel well and tell me my max wheel and tire size that i could go with? maybe pep boys?

or would anyone know the exact max for the cougar?

those deep dish wheels i like are 17x9.

wheel demensions

Reply #11
sorry about that.  heres a pic of the car.

Correction. those deep dish wheels i like are 17x10  but they also come in  17x9 but arent as deep.

Thanks everyone

wheel demensions

Reply #12
I have 17x9 up front and 17x10 in the back.No issues at all with fit,except,I had to remove the quad shocks in the rear,but,you don't have quads,so that won't be an issue.Read this add for these wheels,the one's I bought (with tires),and you'll see all of the dimensions.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-x-9-10-Morxchn-Mustang-Cobra-r-wheels-rims-DEEP-4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em245QQhashZitem33547f7f66QQitemZ220460973926QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQsalenotsupported
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

wheel demensions

Reply #13
so for sure, i could run 17x10 all the way around the car.

Is there anything else i should be aware of as far as making sure the wheels will fit? or just height and width? 

bolt spacing? or are they all pretty much the same standard spacing?

wheel demensions

Reply #14
Is it just me or do those black wheels from LMR look like old Saleen wheels?
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads