Skip to main content
Topic: buying a car that sat outside sucks :) (Read 1562 times) previous topic - next topic

buying a car that sat outside sucks :)

when i picked up the bird i knew it had a squirrel or rat living in the engine compartment, all the sticks and leaves for the nest were still there.  well turns out it was a squirrel- with newborns-3 of them. the dog sniffed them out. they were inside the wheelwell between the plastic liner and the body. also found the mother, or what was left of her. must have died after birth, the ants ate her up. ants suck, they got in the car. i cut the carpet to check out the pans- no rust, thats good.ants in the car- about 20 or so red/black ants that i could see( and prob eleventybillion that i couldn't )- that's bad. do bug bombs kill ants? this is gonna suck!! :punchballs:

anyone else get pets with their car?
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #1
I got couple of dead mice and a wasp's nest with the Sport....full of wasps.They're gone now.They all died a horrible death.I feel no remorse.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Mine had a mouse nest under the upper intake when I bought it, and the air cleaner box was full of seeds of some sort. And it was stored inside.

When I bought the house and laid the T-Bird up in my garage a squirrell made itself at home in the blower motor housing. It actually built a nest in the "squirrellcage". I wasn't about to pull the whole heater box out to fix it, so I just snipped the plastic grille off on three sides, moved it up out of the way, scooped out the nest, then put the grille back in place.

Here's what was left of the nest:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;283937
Mine had a mouse nest under the upper intake when I bought it, and the air cleaner box was full of seeds of some sort. And it was stored inside.

When I bought the house and laid the T-Bird up in my garage a squirrell made itself at home in the blower motor housing. It actually built a nest in the "squirrellcage". I wasn't about to pull the whole heater box out to fix it, so I just snipped the plastic grille off on three sides, moved it up out of the way, scooped out the nest, then put the grille back in place.

Here's what was left of the nest:

yeah, i have acorns in mine. whenever you turn the car to run the flap in the box opens and acorns fall out. how the hell do they (squirrles) get in there?
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #4
Surprisingly~I've only encountered spiders so far.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #5
I've had to bug bomb an old pontiac I used to have. It worked fine for me, no problems.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #6
i had a kitten in the engine bay of my f150 when i picked it up from the car lot . but i only went acroos the street to fill it up and the saleman took the kitten back with him good for me and the kitten .If i didnt get the free fill up it would have rode in the engine bay for bout 85 miles to the house. other than that mice and bugs the usal

Reply #7
I got some pets with the Fiero.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #8
it gets even more fun when they sit outside with the glass shot out
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #9
Right now my car has no window in the drivers side...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Mine had a few hidden wasp nests, made for a few interesting visits to the shop.

Reply #11
The XR7 I am looking at has flying ants in the trunk.
2003 Marauder 300B
1996-97 Cobra wheel straight but weathered (For Sale)
84 TC manual shifter handle no  (For Sale)

BTW, I had a 1988 T-Bird Sport way back when. I found out that it was totalled shortly after trading it in. It still has the ignition switch recall to date.

Special thanx to EricCoolCats for showing me to this site.:bowdown:

Reply #12
Make sure you got all of momma out of there asap... The smell of decaying rat is the hardest thing to get rid of. Fixing all the wiring they chewed up is a piece of cake compared.

Reply #13
How do you guys have pests getting into your cars? My T-bird sits in a garage all winter and I've never had a rodent problem.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #14
Your garage probably isn't built from an old barn ;) Living in the boonies probably doesn't help me either...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣