Skip to main content
Topic: boost problem :( (Read 2185 times) previous topic - next topic

boost problem :(

Reply #15
I don't know about the reliabilty of the ebay turbo's but until someone actually has one and comes forward and says something bad about it from actual experience don't believe the hype,need proof.
I  was told the same thing about my 50 dollar cat fluid dampner but when i asked for proof on the corral not one person could step up so i bought it and it's been just fine going on 3yrs.
The ebay turbo's are the exact same trim .60.
He stated above it spools eventually to 18psi but it lags greatly which to me says to big of a turbo(not enough exaust flow) just like how ron described his.
If it runs fine,doesn't buck or fall on it's face then th plugs and timing are fine(but a timing check should be done as you just bought the car).
How can you tell by a pic what size turbo he has,i can't unless it's close up..
They all pretty much look the same.

Reply #16
Right a volvo turbo should spool faster than our own T3's.

Something is wrong in the setup.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #17
not sure of the header. i just changed plugs, wires, cap and distributor. i was told the cam timing is set at 0, not sure how to tell if the ignition timing is right, i have a inline boost controller but just bought a manual one off ebay.
i looked at the cheap turbos on ebay but everyone i looked at said 8PSI, im not sure if that means its only good for that much boost or what.like this one right here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4-Turbo-Turbocharger-w%2f-wastegate-V-Band-+-Timer_W0QQitemZ200282151511QQcmdZViewItem

well, my t5 turbo was made for volvos with 5 cylinders i believe.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #18
oh when i went to go get exhaust quotes i got a good look at my exhaust, its bad!!
stock main piping, 3"cat that is more the 2 feet long, Ypipe, "2 piping running to 2 magnaflow lers then 2" running all the way out back. i think that might be another reason why my turbo cant spool...
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #19
you need a single 3" exhaust BAAAAD. do that first, then look into. replacing the turbo.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #20
okay, that sounds right to me! hopefully be getting exhaust done within a month or two

Reply #21
Quote from: dominator;283846

How can you tell by a pic what size turbo he has,i can't unless it's close up..
They all pretty much look the same.

I'm no expert on Volvo turbos, but I highly doubt when clocked to mount to the factory intercooler, the bolt on inlet, which is relatively unique to Fords, would point in the factory direction.

Cam timing, ignition timing, restrictions, improper wastegate settings, vac line configuration and boost controller configuration can, and will effect spool time. If the wastegate isn't close fully, you will eventually reach your desired boost, while overspinning the turbo and creating too much heat.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #22
Quote from: Tbird232ci;284291
I'm no expert on Volvo turbos, but I highly doubt when clocked to mount to the factory intercooler, the bolt on inlet, which is relatively unique to Fords, would point in the factory direction.

Cam timing, ignition timing, restrictions, improper wastegate settings, vac line configuration and boost controller configuration can, and will effect spool time. If the wastegate isn't close fully, you will eventually reach your desired boost, while overspinning the turbo and creating too much heat.

Ah much to learn ! Only the 83-86 2.3t's in birds/cougars came with a T3 with the bolt on . These did not come factory with a inter cooler unless you bought the Motorsports kit. They had a Hard pipe and some even had a FINNED cooled pipe witch is the old pipe with Fin on it for a heatsink. The 87-88 with the IHI turbo has a round outlet. Then also the Mustang SVO's back in its early days came with a T3 with a round outlet for there smaller than the later 87-88 turbo coupe inter cooler.  Then lets talk about clocking the 83-86 T3 with the bolt on . Easy as pie. Loosen up the front housing and spin her around. Lines up slicker than snot!LOL Then to get it to connect to the inter cooler no problem. There is several ways to do it. Make and bolt on  adapter or buy one on EBAY. Cut the factory pipe and use that or grind the  off the turbo housing and  NOW its round, or even just get a mustang SVO front housing and bolt that on. Then as for telling what turbo you really have you need to forget about looking whats outside and find out what is inside. Just like you they could have changed things up so head over to turbo ford and dig through there turbo ID guide. Then how would a T5 that is much larger and takes more force to make it rotate make boost faster? The less mass you have to spin the easier it is to make it move. The whole idea of the T3-T4 hybrid is your still turning a T3 but just slapped a T4 hot side on it. Kinda spools like a T3 but that even slows the spool time. What you think your gonna get with a T5 much larger everything! I'm sure that extra cylinder the VDub helps to spool that puppy.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #23
i'll check the cam timing and ignition timing then and get a 3" exhaust. i just put a new boost controller on it. havent ran it since though. i'll take a look at my turbo and see if the  is round or rectangled. i know that the couplers that connect the turbo to the intercooler is bigger, he gave me the stock one.

Reply #24
ok i just the lagging problem by just taking out the inline boost controler and putting in a manual one but now no matter how i put the new tubes or how i put the t connector in, i hit over boost, i can have it at the lowest or highest boost and i cant control my boost, any ideas? broken boost controller maybe?

Reply #25
Quote from: ipsd;284332
Ah much to learn ! Only the 83-86 2.3t's in birds/cougars came with a T3 with the bolt on . These did not come factory with a inter cooler unless you bought the Motorsports kit. They had a Hard pipe and some even had a FINNED cooled pipe witch is the old pipe with Fin on it for a heatsink. The 87-88 with the IHI turbo has a round outlet. Then also the Mustang SVO's back in its early days came with a T3 with a round outlet for there smaller than the later 87-88 turbo coupe inter cooler.  Then lets talk about clocking the 83-86 T3 with the bolt on . Easy as pie. Loosen up the front housing and spin her around. Lines up slicker than snot!LOL Then to get it to connect to the inter cooler no problem. There is several ways to do it. Make and bolt on  adapter or buy one on EBAY. Cut the factory pipe and use that or grind the  off the turbo housing and  NOW its round, or even just get a mustang SVO front housing and bolt that on. Then as for telling what turbo you really have you need to forget about looking whats outside and find out what is inside. Just like you they could have changed things up so head over to turbo ford and dig through there turbo ID guide. Then how would a T5 that is much larger and takes more force to make it rotate make boost faster? The less mass you have to spin the easier it is to make it move. The whole idea of the T3-T4 hybrid is your still turning a T3 but just slapped a T4 hot side on it. Kinda spools like a T3 but that even slows the spool time. What you think your gonna get with a T5 much larger everything! I'm sure that extra cylinder the VDub helps to spool that puppy.

Stuckman

I'm sitting here laughing at you, because you have no idea the amount of knowledge and experience I have in the turbo ford world. Every turbo you mentioned, I have had at least two on my cars. Blew up two IHI's, ran a T3/T04B V-trim hybrid, ran a non-watercooled Thunderbird T3 with a .63 a/r. housing and SVO compressor housing with an ATP inlet housing, run a Precision SC50 on the car. The only turbo I never knew anything about in this conversation is the T5.

Quote from: ipsd;284332
The whole idea of the T3-T4 hybrid is your still turning a T3 but just slapped a T4 hot side on it. Kinda spools like a T3 but that even slows the spool time.
Incorrect. It's a T3 turbine side and center section with a T4 compressor side. Both the T3/T04B and the SC50 I ran started to make boost at nearly identical time, the difference was when they "swung" into full boost. The T3 was much quicker to make full boost, but the hybridshiznit much harder, and maybe 500 rpms later.

Also, the  you are talking about is the DISCHARGE . The intlet, or intake , is the one on the front of the turbo, where the VAM hose typically connects to. Much to learn huh?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #26
Quote from: Tbird232ci;284790
I'm sitting here laughing at you, because you have no idea the amount of knowledge and experience I have in the turbo ford world. Every turbo you mentioned, I have had at least two on my cars. Blew up two IHI's, ran a T3/T04B V-trim hybrid, ran a non-watercooled Thunderbird T3 with a .63 a/r. housing and SVO compressor housing with an ATP inlet housing, run a Precision SC50 on the car. The only turbo I never knew anything about in this conversation is the T5.

Incorrect. It's a T3 turbine side and center section with a T4 compressor side. Both the T3/T04B and the SC50 I ran started to make boost at nearly identical time, the difference was when they "swung" into full boost. The T3 was much quicker to make full boost, but the hybridshiznit much harder, and maybe 500 rpms later.

Also, the  you are talking about is the DISCHARGE . The intlet, or intake , is the one on the front of the turbo, where the VAM hose typically connects to. Much to learn huh?

Its amazing to me that YOU of all people were challenged on your knowledge on here.... Even I know that you are one of the more, well id go as far as saying one of the most knowledgeable guys on here with that motor.

Quicksilver, how did you route your lines and the boost controler in?? Sounds like you should take some pictures close up of the turbo, the vac lines, etc. so they can better help you out.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07