Skip to main content
Topic: boost problem :( (Read 2188 times) previous topic - next topic

boost problem :(

my T5 turbo doesnt fully spool till about 5,200ish rpm with a racing header. max boost ive gotten up to is 18lbs. is this because of my head being restrictive? would the higher flower exhaust im going to get help this spooling problem? at 3-4000rpm it puts out around 7lbs, 4-5200rpm it bumps up to 10-15lbs then once it hits 5,200 it feels like vtech and bumps up to 18lbs. i shut down around 5,800rpms.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
To big of a turbo,therefore to much lag(bigger turbo takes longer to spool).
Ask 1wldbrd,he had a holset on his old tc and it took forever to spool up but when it finally did it went pretty good.
Go with a t3t4 hybrid.

Reply #2
T5 turbo?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #3
A turbo that size really needs proper flow through the motor to spool up respectably.  I would consider a ported big valve head, a ported lower intake, a gutted upper intake, and a larger throttle body at this point. Not to mention you'll need bigger injectors, and a way to tune for them. Do you have a wideband O2 meter in the car?
You need to bring the rest of the engine up to the potential that the turbo has.
If you can't put that much into it right now, do what Dominator suggested and actually step down on the turbo size.  You'll have quicker spool times, and your entire combo will work as a unit, as it should.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #4
bhazard the T5 turbo is off a vovlo.
ok so it sounds like a have to drop acoupe acoupe pretty pennies. thanks for your help guys, i appreciate it!
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #6
No, this is the head you need:
http://www.bo-port.com/headpkg.html
Boport knows 2.3 turbos.  Best bang for your buck if your going to spend it.
He offers a couple different performance levels.  Contact him, he'll be happy to discuss your goals and what head/cam match your intended hp level.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #7
Yes Too big of a turbo makes is spool SLOW and LAGGY that is why Ford put the smaller IHI on there to get you into boost quicker! You've already stepped up to the bigger turbo why not try and maximize what you have. What have you done to the exhaust. I know removing the cat helped Spool times less restriction in the flow. Are you running a manual boost controller? If so turn the boost level up that slows down the signal sent to the waste gate and will keep it fully closed until set boost level us reached! Then as always a smaller turbo would help along with maximizing flow through the intake, head, exhaust will help. A wideband is an O2 sensor that instead of detecting just a narrow range of the range it detects the full range from way to lean to way to rich not just this is the right range. Then with a wide band you can output that information to a digital gauge that shows you real air/fuel ratio!
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #8
what trim size turbo should i get to get max performance out of it?

Reply #9
T3/4 hybrid.

Reply #10
what trim? how big of t3/t4?

Reply #11
Search t3 turbo on ebay.
There are tons of them,cheap too.
T4OE

Reply #12
Quote from: dominator;283811
Search t3 turbo on ebay.
There are tons of them,cheap too.
T4OE

And maybe use it for parts! Find a real turbo shop not a CHEAP EABY KNOCK OFF TURBO! I've been running mine from turbocity for 8yrs now and no problems. As far as trim were talking about the AR rating of the compressor side. I'm running at T3-T4 AR60 spools just a hair slower than a stock T-3. That is with an unported- head,intake,exhaust mani.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #13
i found a turbonetics .60trim with a ceramic ball bearing.do you think with a header will it be full spool around 3500?

Reply #14
First off, what header are you using? When did you have it tuned up last? Is your cam timing correct? Is your ignition timing correct? How is your boost controller set up?

From looking at your pictures from the lounge, it looks like you've got a T3.

I'm amazed that no one even suggested looking over the basics and just started telling him to throw parts at it.
It's Gumby's fault.