Skip to main content
Topic: My '86 TurboCoupe (Read 34242 times) previous topic - next topic

My '86 TurboCoupe

Hi all, I finaly decided to post some pictures here and use this thread as information thread for me.

Here are some new pics:

Yesterday I worked on taillights, because our laws don't accept red turn lights and 15 years ago some technician changed whole electrical system for europe. And he made a lot of mistakes. So I rebuilt it back to red and made a switch for technical control station. When I'll go there I just swap the lights and turn the switch to europe lighting.

And here are some questions.
My friend told me, that there are some canadian tail lights with orange turn signal lamps. How do they look like?
Does anyone have one more pair of front turn signal lamps?

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #1
Canadian cars have the same tail lamps as American cars. The only ones I've seen with amber turn signals are ones that were modified by some of our other European members.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #2
Trinom,

Turn signals must be amber?  Brake lights must be red?  Are reverse lights mandatory?

If the reverse lights are not mandatory, perhaps you could could convert them to the turn signals?

Your car looks good!  I believe that color TC is pretty rare.  I've only seen one that color in person.  I'm almost afraid to ask, what is the brown thing below the license plate?  Are the correct Marchal fog lights available there?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #3
Quote from: t3skidoo;282826
Trinom,
Turn signals must be amber?  Brake lights must be red?  Are reverse lights mandatory?
Our cars must have amber turn signals, red brake and fog lights and white reverse light. Now I'm using illegal configuration

Quote from: t3skidoo;282826
Your car looks good!  I believe that color TC is pretty rare.  I've only seen one that color in person.  I'm almost afraid to ask, what is the brown thing below the license plate?  Are the correct Marchal fog lights available there?
I don't have front fog lights on the car. One is OK, second has broken glass. If you have some extra I'll buy it from you.

The color isn't original, the car was from syard and had broken passenger door. Original color was dark grey metallic.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #4
I really like the Bird.I rarely see the 4 eyes in red.Nice car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #6
Can you convert the reverse lights to signal lights and mount new reverse lights (maybe under the bumper)?

What's broken on the passenger door?

The Marchal lenses are difficult to find here also.  I'll check my supply.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #7
could you modify the reverse light to hold and amber bulb and the white reverse light so both are hidden?  this is what I would do since your only using the reverse lights while in reverse obviously and you wont be using the turn signals while in reverse anyways.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #8
What's the brownish thing sticking up from under the bumper ? Looks kinda like a tail ;D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1962 Thunderbird convertible
1971 Mustang Mach1 429SCJ

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #9
Quote from: Mr-Mach1;283067
What's the brownish thing sticking up from under the bumper ? Looks kinda like a tail ;D
Tail :D Do you like my trailer towing device with the hedgehog looking cap? And a bit left is fog light.

I don't want to convert it back to european lights by myself, I just asked you if canadian tail lights are diferent. If not, I keep red turn signal lamps. Our cops like american cars and don't penalise red tail lights. Only technical control station don't like them, so I have one more pair of tail lights with orange square next to the reverse light (it's horrible).

Quote from: t3skidoo;282985
What's broken on the passenger door?
The Marchal lenses are difficult to find here also.  I'll check my supply.
Door is OK now, they have been repaired before painting (15 years ago).
Marshal fog lights? I have some french fog lights and they fits perfectly, but one has broken glass. I thought that those are original.

And last question, I'm still solving problem with rear axle howl. I changed rear axle oil, but without change (I was woried if the rear axle isn't dry). In this thread CougarXLS told me something with rear end bearings. I couldn't see it now, becouse I'm still using this car and don't have access to big garage or hall. Someone told me, that a lot of people change whole rear axle. Is it standard practise?

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #11
That's a nice car, I agree red looks great on those...

Is the rear noise a whine??? Does it change pitch when you are accelerating vs coasting???

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #12
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;284208
Is the rear noise a whine??? Does it change pitch when you are accelerating vs coasting???
Yes it does and it whines while I press the gas pedal, when I relase it, it mutes. I made a video with this, look here. This whine is most annoying between 50 - 80 km/h (real speed, not those nonsenses on speedometer). In lower speed it isn't hearable, in higher it's a part of the noise from rear. My friend told me on friday, that I have probably bad left rear wheel bearing, so when I will repair brakes (very soon) I will check it. I remember this noise for all time we had this car. Another friend thinks it might be noise from differential. When I was changing the oil there (last week after probably 23 years) I didn't see anythyng wrong, but if some sprocket is little damaged I can't see it.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #13
You CAN faintly hear it whining at certain speeds in the video, mainly the one where he counts the tranny shifts

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #14
Yes, I know, those are my videos ;).
Two more questions: Where can I find this clock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPEKJOvr8KU&feature=related (1:26)? How many teeth speedogear have stock t-bird turbocoupe with C3 tranny (7,5 rear axle, 3,45 diff.)?