Skip to main content
Topic: Headlight problems. Help Needed! (Read 2147 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlight problems. Help Needed!

Car: 1988 T-Bird Sport (no auto-dimmer)

I have parking lights, high beams, and turn signals but no low beams? And my high beams will not stay on. I can hold the high beams on and they will work. I suspect its the headlight switch on the column but autozone wants $83 for one. Could it be the switch on the dash? If someone has another idea of what the problem could be please let me know. If you have a parts car with a headlight switch I will gladly pay you for it. Just cant really swing $83 for a switch right now.
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #1
I dont have a parts car but I do have a h/l switch, the switch in the dash not the dimmer switch on the column.

Reply #2
I guess I could try that one 1st and see what I got. What do you want for it?
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #3
Let me know if it's the column switch (multi-function lever).If it is,I think I have one,$15.00 shipped.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
If vinnie doesn't I have one.

Reply #5
I guess I will get both switches then.
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #6
I love my digital camera :D

Okay, there appear to be two potential current paths:

1. If you hold the lever in the flash-to-pass position, current flows through 527 R to the flash-to-pass relay. That closes the relay, which allows current to flow along 12 LG/BK to your high beams.

2. If you pull the lever and release so that high beams are on, current flows along 507 Y directly to circuit 12 LG/BK.

I would say that it's most likely the multifunction switch, though it could also be any of the connectors along the second current path (specifically, C238, C292, C234, or C232). I would say that a fault along the path is a lot less likely than in the switch itself, though.

According to the EVTM:

C238 is the connector at the switch.

C292 is under the left hand side of the instrument panel, near the fuse panel (gray, 12 terminals).

C234 is behind the left hand side of the instrument panel (gray, 12 terminals).

C232 is at the left hand front fender apr0n below the headlamps (gray, 8 terminals).

I'd bet on the switch being the problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #7
Thanks!
Now I understand how everything works. Just need a switch thats worth a ! lol
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #8
I had  a similar situation years ago. The only difference was that I didn't have low beams. Turned out to be the Dimmer/combo switch in the column.  They are cheaper and easier to change at least with the older Pull  type headlight switches.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #9
I have an extra switch from my 1984 car. It was indeed fully functional before I removed it to swap it for one with the 1983-only horn activation included switch which I needed to use with he NOS 1981-83 Tbird steering wheel trim with no horn switch which I just won off eBay. Your round stalk lever WILL fit into this switch and it is the same switch as the one you originally have. It will just mount and plug right in, then insert your existing turn signal lever. There is no mounting modifications or rewiring required.

PM me if you are interested. I will glad to sell it to you, especially since so many of you on here have been kind enough to help me and others. I will take your best offer + shipping. It's worth nothing to me sitting in a box around the house and I'd rather see it go to someone who can use it.

Reply #10
Vinne is shipping me one here soon. If that one for some odd reason doesnt work then I will pm you. Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it.
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #11
Mine was the 'multifunction switch' when that happened.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #12
thats what everyone is telling me so im gonna chage it
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #13
Quote from: Live Fast;282475
Car: 1988 T-Bird Sport (no auto-dimmer)

I have parking lights, high beams, and turn signals but no low beams? And my high beams will not stay on. I can hold the high beams on and they will work.

The main headlight switch (on the dash) is bad.

Holding back on the dimmer stalk is flash to pass, This is a different circuit to the high beams that doesn't use the main headlight switch.
Flash to pass will work with the main headlight switch off.

Reply #14
when i turn the lights on all the way on the dash i get nothing but the parking lights.
if i pull the high beams they come on but will not stay on. after i let go of they go right back off.
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport