Skip to main content
Topic: Gauge swap (Read 2029 times) previous topic - next topic

Gauge swap

How much would be involed in changing from the 84 style cluster to the 85-88 cluster? Change the whole dash and the cluster or would i also have to use the donor cars wire harness also. Mine has a mech speedo. Also if so any one know where is can get a over lay for the old square cluster?
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Re: Gauge swap

Reply #1
The whole dash, wiring harness included, would have to be swapped. You'd also have to ditch the speedo cable and get your speed input from the vehicle speed sensor (which will already be there for the EEC-IV computer).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Hey Guys,
I've had this same idea.  I have an '84 Cougar LS V6 with the older style dash display, which has no provisions for Voltage, Temp, or Oil Pressure.  However, the '85-'88 dash clusters have all of that.  So does my '84 LS have the sending units on the motor to supply those gauges if I did put an '85 dash in it?  Also, are you saying the '85-'88 cars don't use a speedo cable?  How does the EEC-IV computer know how fast the car is going?  Where is it's input from?  How do the guys who change their gearing or swap trannies (with different gear ratios) adjust their speedometers, or do they?  The car I may steal the dash cluster from is an '85 Cougar V6, which probably (maybe so, maybe not, haven't seen the car yet) does not have an AOD tranny like my '84 does, and probably has a 2.73 rear end, where my '84 has a 3.27.  I know it may seem like splitting hairs, but I like knowing that my gauges are supplying me with the right info, particularly where my speed and mileage is concerned.  Please tell me what I'm in for, ThunderChicken.  I appreciate it.

P.S. By the way, I'll have your seats skinned this weekend.  I know you're probably looking for them.

Fordman3

Reply #3
Your '84 Cougar will have the senders for an oil pressure light and a temp light. You'll have to install the proper senders for whatever gauges you install (buttstuffogue or digital). Also, if you go full digital you'll need to replace the fuel tank sending unit as well. If you install a cluster with a tach you'll have to run a wire from the coil as well.

85 and newer T-Birds and Cougars do not have a speedo cable. They use a vehicle speed sensor that mounts to the tranny (where the speedo cable would normally go). When changing gears you can use regular speedo gears to correct - just remove the sensor and replace the gear on the end of it. Since your car has a 3.27 rear you can use the sensor (and gear) from an 87 or 88 T-Bird or Cougar with the 3.8 (I think most 87-88 V6 cars came with AOD and 3.27 gears, though Shawn would be able to tell you better).

You might (but I'm not sure) have to use the heater box from an '85-88 car as well. The dash is completely different from the 83-84 models, and the older heater box might not fit. I'm not certain, though...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Some ideas for the 1983-84 dash are here:
http://www.coolcats.net/stockmod/modified/gauges.html

This is what others have done before...it's a lot more complex to do in the older dash, but things can be done with gauges to improve what you have. There's always the ubiquitous A-pillar pod too.

Reply #5
Thanks for the input guys that help a little. I got the Pillar pod. just wanted to maybe give the dash a face lift. Anyhow i guess i'll just stick with what i got.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #6
Here's an idea that I kinda thought up after staring at a cluster just like that one for a few weeks (in my '84 TC).  These dashes are "front-lit" meaning that the lighting isn't behind the gauges but is, in fact shining onto the faces.  Wouldn't it be possible to carefully scan the existing gauge faces and do some work in photoshop and have them printed on some high quality paper?