Skip to main content
Topic: help!! problems with new turbo coupe! (Read 1523 times) previous topic - next topic

help!! problems with new turbo coupe!

i just bought a 87 turbo coupe 5speed, and im having problems when i take it out of gear into neutral when im driving, it either dies or it drops down really low into the rpms. and the turbo hesitates when its spooling around 11lbs (max boost is at around 18+)
it has a:

racing header
T5 turbo (that what the guy told me)
mass air conversion adapter
k&n cone filter
and some exhaust work
intercooler fan and heat shield
smaller crank pully
and a short throw shifter.

please help
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
Pull codes.

Reply #2
how do i do that?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #4
ok, thank you. i appreciate it

Reply #5
Suspecting the mass air conversion
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #6
Sounds like another case of someone doing a bunch of mods but not taking the time to dial everything in. That mass air conversion calls for some way to tune the stock ECU. That is what I'm almost positive is what is making her run like .

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #7
ok thats what i was thinking. it also came with a buttstuffog tuning thing that i can do with a screw driving. im kinda scared to play with it though. so i'll just take it out and put the old stuff back in.
with the old airmeter on, when i floored it, the boost went up to 11lbs stuttered then slower went down as the rpms got hire. not sure what to think of that

Reply #8
My SC did the same thing after I modified it.  Turned out it was the plugs.  I don't know how common it is on TCs, but on the SC with 15# I was blowing out the spark.  As boost built it would sputter and cough and miss.  Lay off the boost and it would come back to life.  I switched to copper plugs gapped slightly under and it drives perfect now.

Reply #9
Sounds to me like the Actuator on the Turbo opens the waste gate at 11psi. Open waste gate means you aren't building any more boost. Unplug the line to the actuator and take her for a spin. Don't go nuts with it cause it won't stop building boost untill you stop giving it gas this way. Yes you can mess stuff up this way, that is why you need to just see if you can build over 11psi this way. Once you hit 12-13psi let off.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #10
checked the spark plugs. they seem fine. what are the supposed to be gapped at?
do you guys think because of the bigger turbo i was running with the stock airmeter i was just running lean on fuel?

Reply #11
Quote from: quicksilver;282050
checked the spark plugs. they seem fine. what are the supposed to be gapped at?
do you guys think because of the bigger turbo i was running with the stock airmeter i was just running lean on fuel?

plugs should be gapped between .032 - .036.  the bigger turbo wont make the engine run leaner unless the vacuum on your fuel pressure regulator is unhooked if the line is plugged in with the engine warm and the engine off pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and see if it is wet on the inside and smells like fuel, wet means the diaphram is bad and the FPR needs to be replaced. also with each PSI of boost your fuel pressure will raise by 1 psi. Check your voltage on your tps by probing the green wire with the positive lead of your voltmeter and the black with the negative lead your voltage should be about .97 volts this is where the air/fuel ratio is adjusted, from my experience if the voltage is higher than stated it will be lean and lower it will be rich. hope this helps

Reply #12
so i took off the mass air adaptor and put back on the stock air meter box... my check engine light is on and it work make any boost. and thats all i changed...

Reply #13
wont make any boost*

Reply #14
yeah, im really confused. im pretty sure the guy a bought the car from entertwined the stock computer and the mass airflow adaptor.... i'll get a picture of the adaptor tuning thing and all the wires...