Skip to main content
Topic: How to replace & where to buy ignition switch? (Read 744 times) previous topic - next topic

How to replace & where to buy ignition switch?

My ignition switch is going bad. How do i replace it and where would I buy a replacement?

Reply #1
If it's a '88 & hasn't been already replaced under the recall, Ford will do it for free...

Reply #2
Quote from: quick50stng;281504
My ignition switch is going bad. How do i replace it and where would I buy a replacement?

To replace it you take apart the plastic covering the steering column. The you take out the two  bolts holding the switch onto the column. Then you unplug it. Then you plug in the new one bolt it down. Install the plastic your done. I do believe the new switch comes set in the on position. You can pick one up at any parts store. I tell you to spring for one with a lifetime warranty that way if you need to replace it again you are covered. Then also make sure you look over the pigtail/plug in closely. Those can get old, brunt, broken and cause you many problems. Easy to replace while you have things apart.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;281511
If it's a '88 & hasn't been already replaced under the recall, Ford will do it for free...

Do you just walk in and have them pull up the records?  Im sure theyll say they dont keep that far back.
Mike

Reply #4
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;281511

Is this true? Do they honor recalls that far back? Hell it's worth a shot.