Skip to main content
Topic: F-22 Raptor Breaks Sound Barrier On Camera (Read 1006 times) previous topic - next topic

F-22 Raptor Breaks Sound Barrier On Camera

Reply #1
New desktop photo time.

Always wanted to fly.  my bad eyes.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

Reply #2
Meh. Dougy Fresh's T-Bird will top it :hick:

obligatory "just kidding"
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
That's an awesome pic.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
That is awesome.  Wouldn't that be  near impossible to photograph an object travelling the speed of sound if you were at a stationary position?  That makes my head spin!!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #5
I lived next to the Niagara Falls Airbase.
Used to watch the f-14, 15, and 16s do that from by bedroom window.
The freakin house would shake when they went mach, just past our house. They had to stop that when it got to populated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
the camera must be worth as much as the f-22 to be able to capture that

Reply #7
That's cool - I want one :)
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #8
it's like the camera that mythbusters used in one of their episodes.
they needed some insanely high speed camera for something I remember
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
Well, sort of...the phenomenon occurs for a few seconds. Something to do with the water vapor around the permiter of the plane. Here's a rough idea from one of the commenters in the article:

Quote from: ShobhnaThisbe
The 'vapour cone' is correctly called a Prandtl Glauert Singularity, and is caused by condesation via pressure changes, when complex aerodynamic bodies, like fighters, travel at transonic (mach 0.8 ~ 1.2) speeds. (complex because of pressure differences across wing sections, controls surfaces etc and engine intake and exhaust paths and temps) It's often mistakenly associated with breaking the sound barrier or sonic boom, which it is not. Local air-traffic at airshows is always restricted to sub-sonic.

So yeah...what he said. There you go. There's actually plenty of time to take the photo but you'd still need a very high shutter speed and a steady hand.

Here's a video that shows the phenomenon in action (also very frickin' cool):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2EQGrOpsA8

Reply #10
I have to be honest, It's super cool seeing that in person when they fly by.
first you see it. then you hear it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook