Skip to main content
Topic: are manual trans brake pedals smaller than the automatic ones on the T Bird? (Read 2351 times) previous topic - next topic

are manual trans brake pedals smaller than the automatic ones on the T Bird?

The one big beef I have with my Thunderbird is the terribly small footwells in the front, it is worse than an old van!  I wear a size 13 shoe and stepping on the gas will sometimes result in tapping the brake pedal as well. :bs:
I can't imagine where Ford would put a clutch pedal on these!  Anyways, would it be worth my time & effort to look for a manual transmission brake pedal (which I assume is narrower?) and would it be an easy swap.      Thanks!

Re: are manual trans brake pedals smaller than the automatic ones on the T Bird?

Reply #1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: are manual trans brake pedals smaller than the automatic ones on the T Bird?

Reply #2
Yes!  Much smaller!    Even better would be the clutch pedal, if it would work!  Thanks for the pic!

Reply #3
the gas pedal is smaller on an automatic as well
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
If you want the bigger gas pedal, you can easily swap it over from any Fox Mustang 5.0 car. Bolts right in.

Smaller brake pedal....that's going to be a problem. It requires a lot of dash removal, swearing, removing the whole pedal assembly, more swearing, and lots of blood. You can use the Mustang/pre-1987 Turbo Coupe pedal assembly and just eliminate the clutch pedal. Might also be able to use a regular Mustang automatic pedal assembly too...check some 4-banger LX models.

Reply #5
Thanks for the advice!  Taking the dash apart is something I don't want to do!  Since posting this initially, it has been suggested to me that I cut off part of the metal pad closest to the gas pedal and custom shape it to fit a smaller rubber pad.  This I can do with a Dremel tool with ease on the car, something that never entered my mind.  Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #6
Heh.. another one with 13s. Hard for me to drive sometimes when I wear a certain pair of shoes I have. (some kinda quasi-hiking boot or something)

Reply #7
Quote from: DryGoods
Taking the dash apart is something I don't want to do!  Since posting this initially, it has been suggested to me that I cut off part of the metal pad closest to the gas pedal and custom shape it to fit a smaller rubber pad.  This I can do with a Dremel tool with ease on the car, something that never entered my mind.

Yep, that's exactly what I did when I installed the Bullit pedal covers in my car. A Mustang pad is what you'll want. Installed it's about 1" narrower side-to-side, and roughly 3/8" smaller top-to-bottom. I used a total of 2 reinforced Dremel cut-off wheels to get the initial cuts, and then used an air grinder with a 36-grit pad to round off the corners. You'll only need to cut the sides and bottom...leave the top alone. It's also important that the corners are rounded off. Then the Mustang pedal cover slips right on. Piece of cake.

Reply #8
I have had similar problems. After I started wearing double wide converse, I havent had as many problems. I need either a 13 double wide, a 14 wide, or a size 15 regular. I used to wear size 15 stomp boots. That was hell
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
I wear 13 double wide cats and havnt had any problems in my tbird but has anyone ever tried driving a firefly/sprint? Its interesting.... and guess what I picked up yesterday  :hick:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #10
Manged to modify my pedal using a clutch pedal pad from the 88 TBird.  Works great, only took me 30 minutes to cut and shape metal pad to fit the new rubber cover.  So far so good, no stepping on the brake when going for the gas pedal!    ;)  Thanks for the ideas!