Skip to main content
Topic: don't understang this new stuff help (Read 1658 times) previous topic - next topic

don't understang this new stuff help

sharing the car with my son, interesting problems.

radio upgrade, for xmas got the boy some stereo stuff to put in the bird.
am/fm cd head unit with pull off face. got the wire harness to connect to my original harness. added 2 speakers to the door panels.
ran an extra set of rca wires to the trunk.
heres the deal.
connected all the wires to the harness. now  have six speakers working. 4  4 " on the front circut 2 6 X 9 on the back works well. ran the two wires with rca jacks from the head unit to the trunk and added an amp with a kicker box (6 speakers) and a bass tube.
 the amp powers up but no sound from the kickers or bass. made a quick jumper from the rear speakers (working) both the kicker and bass play (low volume). then for giggles jumped to the amp with the standard speakers ( ah ha) now the amp drives the kicker and bass for about 45 seconds then cuts out. if i run the amp through the rca plugs do i need to not run standard speaker wires? Can you mix and match with powered (standard) speakers and the RCA preouts from the head unit or is it all one or all the other? is the head unit defective? is there a way to put a resistor in the wires so i won't over drive the amp? should i get a multichannel amp and run all the speakers off the amp? when i put a similar set up in my daughters car (chevy) the front speakers run directly from the head unit but the rears and bass run off the amp,
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: don't understang this new stuff help

Reply #1
are tge rca's new? if not replace em. then check for a good ground also check the remote wire that turns on the anp when the head unit is on. just doble check everything. you should have 3 wires goin to the truni rca's power and remote. then ground it to the chassie if it still doesn't work then check the amp or subs cuz they both could be bad
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #2
The very first thing to check is the radio's settings. Somewhere on that head unit is a menu that allows you to change settings (use your manual to finid it), and one of those settings may be to enable or disable the pre-outs.

Your amp should be only connnected with the RCA wires, not with the line level (speaker outputs) of the receiver. You can run speakers directly from the receiver's speaker outputs, but you can't run the amp from the speaker outputs. Well, you can, with some amps (some have a line level input and gain control), but it's not recommended.

Also, if your amp does not have a built-in crossover you should add one if you're powering a sub. Your head unit might have one as well (get out the manual)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
yes the RCA wires are new bought 20 ft monster wire (brand name) red/white twin leads ran them under the sill plate and rear seat when i was overahuling the car in dec so as to be ready for the Xmas gift for the kid. amp owers up when radio comes on. I'll pull the radio out this weekend and run another set of wire to see if maybe the other are bad/pinched. Will also check the om for the radio to see if the preouts can be turned off/on 
thanks
baylensman
87 LX
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #4
:flame: i would check the power connections. Me and my freind put 2 12's in his car and when we were done it didnt work. Had no Idea why. after he got home his altenator took a dump on him. He got a enw one and then it worked
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com