Skip to main content
Topic: t/c rear questions again (Read 1889 times) previous topic - next topic

t/c rear questions again

i think i've located a decent rear. local pick and pull has a t/c with rear in it has around 60K miles. in doing this swap what do i need to take off the donor car.
is there any master cylinder diffence?
do i need a proportioning valve or a diffrent one.
how about steel lines and hoses?
drive shaft diffrences?
control arm mounting arm differences?

thanks in advance
you guys have helped every time so far

walt
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: t/c rear questions again

Reply #1
yes, get the m/c and prop valve, in ANY situation when going from drum to disc. Personally, I would get a new/reman unit at your local parts place, and just trade you current one in...
I'm not sure if the m/c is actually different, but the prop definitely is.

Reply #2
NEED MORE INFO... Disc or drums????? If its a '86-older with drums its a direct swap...

IF it is a '87-'88 with the disc brakes, you can't use the electric TC ABS master cyl. You will need the parking brake cables from where they connect under the car near the drivers feet area, as well as the support.

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
NEED MORE INFO... Disc or drums????? If its a '86-older with drums its a direct swap...

IF it is a '87-'88 with the disc brakes, you can't use the electric TC ABS master cyl. You will need the parking brake cables from where they connect under the car near the drivers feet area, as well as the support.

DUH! I forgot all about the ABS  :sorry:

Reply #4
You need to gut your proportioning valve, and install an adjustable proportioning valve.  This involves bending some custom lines.  The adjustable proportioning valve gets installed between your gutted proportioning valve and the rear brake line.  The plug to install after you gut your prop valve can be purchased from Ford Motorsport.  I do no have the part number on hand.
1988 Thunderbird
5.0 HO, t5, TC rear, TC brakes, etc. - Gone

Reply #5
FMS M2450 is the part # for the plug.
for mustangs you really don't need to bend custom lines, u just put the adjustable prop. valve on the passenger side where the fitting is, I haven't looked at a Tbird line tho so I don't know if it's the same there

Reply #6
Quote from: zpyro
FMS M2450 is the part # for the plug.
for mustangs you really don't need to bend custom lines, u just put the adjustable prop. valve on the passenger side where the fitting is, I haven't looked at a Tbird line tho so I don't know if it's the same there

There is no fitting on a TBird. I had to bend up some custom lines.
1988 Thunderbird
5.0 HO, t5, TC rear, TC brakes, etc. - Gone