Skip to main content
Topic: Horsepower, Going H.O. (Read 1598 times) previous topic - next topic

Horsepower, Going H.O.

I'm planning on a few cheaper mods for my Cougar, trying to get by without going full high output for now. Here's what it'll consist of:

E7's w/ 1.7 roller rockers
Explorer Upper & Lower
65MM Throttle body & EGR spacer
Smog Pump Delete
Electric Fan
Stock Mustang shorties
Custom Catted 2.25" H-Pipe
Summit Welded lers w/ turndowns
AFPR

Plus a few other things like a 180* thermostat, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I'll also be bumping the timing up a little bit too. So the question is, what do y'all think? Think I'll run into any problems? I'm getting the AFPR to bump up the fuel pressure a tad, think that'll cover the mods? Oh yeah, do I need the smog pump with aftermarket cats? I want the car to remain quiet, not as quiet as stock, but fairly quiet.
Right now I've got the headers and electric fan. Got a guy up the road that I can get some E7s from pretty cheap and I've been scoping out an Explorer intake locally too. The plan is to throw this together and drive it till I run into problems with the bottem end, then it'll be time for a new short block. The bottem end should hold together for a little while; I'd be happy if it lasted a couple of years (unknown mileage). I might swap out the cam and switch in a SD H.O. ECU a few weeks later, but for now what's above is what I'll be installing.
The only other problems I can foresee are the transmission and rear end, but I'm planning on a few things for those too. Summit deep transmission pan, shift kit, a new filter, and some new fluid. I was thinking about a cooler for it too. What do y'all recommend as far as cooler goes? The rear end would be a little farther off, but I'm hoping I can find an 8.8 locally pretty soon.

The idea is to keep the car stock-ish looking inside and out. Only the people that know these cars, which is no one around here, would know that it wasn't stock. I'm just looking for a little extra grunt, 150HP isn't cutting it.

To cope with the added power I'm also going to swap out the 10" stockers and go with the Mustang spindles w/ 11" rotors and the 73mm calipers. I'm still debating on what I'll do for the rear brakes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #1
I figure you'll be disappointed unless you do the full HO change over...  With it's wimpy little cam, the E7s ain't going help much on a SO engine...

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #2
Your pretty much there,just need to swap cam and eec.
If your going to have the engine apart enough to do heads,it's not much more work and the benifits are great.
If you can't find a cam i have one,pm me if your interested.
Also you'll be wanting to change out your worn timing chain at this point.
Do the cam the same time you do the heads or your just waisting money and time as you will need to replace the intake gaskets twice and tear the engine down twice.

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;277632
I figure you'll be disappointed unless you do the full HO change over...  With it's wimpy little cam, the E7s ain't going help much on a SO engine...

I'm not going to install everything all at once, little by little, that's why I asked. I'll probably be losing the stock fan and installing the Mustang shorties when I've got some free time later next week. I'll probably pick up the Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, and the E7's before the end of the month. I guess I'll probably hold off on the intake and all until I've got everything for the full H.O. swap. I'd rather stay SD for appearances so I need to find an EEC.
I've located the injectors and the cam locally. What's a good price for the stock H.O. cam?

thread title is irrelevant already..... - fixed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #4
Like everyone said, your best bet is to do it all in one shot. It's also more fun to get a 100 horsepower gain, than it is to do 10 here and there. Much more exciting.

As far as remaining stock appearing, get the intake tube and all from a MAF mustang. Unless you had a knowledgeable Ford guy around, no one would know the difference since you used factory parts. You can even put your SO intake plate on the Explorer intake.

My advice, gather all of the parts until you have everything.
It's Gumby's fault.

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #5
Quote from: Tbird232ci;277663
Like everyone said, your best bet is to do it all in one shot. It's also more fun to get a 100 horsepower gain, than it is to do 10 here and there. Much more exciting.

As far as remaining stock appearing, get the intake tube and all from a MAF mustang. Unless you had a knowledgeable Ford guy around, no one would know the difference since you used factory parts. You can even put your SO intake plate on the Explorer intake.

My advice, gather all of the parts until you have everything.

Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. I guess it's time to collect everything.
Which ECU do I need for H.O. SD? I've got an A9P ECU laying around, but that's for MAF and I don't even know if it works. I guess I could always get the mass air jumper harness and try out the A9P, because MAF is much better. I guess the jumper harness would work just as good on the Cougar as it would on a Mustang? I'm still curious about the transmission cooler. Which kind would y'all recommend?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #6
A stock SD HO runs a little bit harder than a MAF version('87-'88 SD Stangs were a couple tents quicker in the quarter than the later MAF cars), but if you already have the A9P, that's the way I'd be going... To test you can just stick it in your car and see if it runs, won't be great with out the meter, but usually they work or don't...

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #7
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;277795
A stock SD HO runs a little bit harder than a MAF version('87-'88 SD Stangs were a couple tents quicker in the quarter than the later MAF cars), but if you already have the A9P, that's the way I'd be going... To test you can just stick it in your car and see if it runs, won't be great with out the meter, but usually they work or don't...

After the cam swap, right? :hick:

How much do you figure my car weighs? It has power everything, premium sound, and no sunroof. I'm curious as to how much more power I'll need to be equivalent to a stock fox Mustang.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #8
I would guess around 3350 lbs or so. Mustangs really aren't that much lighter. If you really want your car to be fast, ditch all the power stuff. I think its useless and more pr0ne to failure then anything manual. Just do a search every now and again, or go to coolcats.net.

Everything you have been asked has been covered many times.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #9
Do the cam first.Otherwise,after the intake and everything else,you'll have to pull the intake again to do the cam.Do it all at once.It can be done easily in an afternoon.I have the 19# injectors if you need those as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #10
I have a stock HO cam.  You can have it for the cost of shipping.  It looks like it would still work fine.  I have pictures of it at home I can post tonight.  Too bad your not local or you could just come pick it up.

-dz

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #11
You can swap in the A9P into the SO just long enough to see if it operates... Won't run great but, if it won't run at all, it's bad... Not a all inclusive test, but will tell you if the MAF is likely worth pursuing...

BTW do the test with a warm engine, may not start cold on the MAF EEC...

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #12
Yeah, I've decided I'll be swapping everything in all at once. I'll be going with MAF since I've already got a A9P EEC, using the MAF jumper harness (if the EEC is good). I've located the cam and injectors locally. I can get the cam for about 20 bucks, maybe a little cheaper; the injectors I can probably get for $15 or so.
I've got a few more questions for those still listening. I'm going to be getting a shift kit, everyone says don't go with B&M, so when y'all say the TransGo shift kit you're talking about part number AOD-HP, right? Could someone also suggest a transmission cooler? I'm going to try my best to drag out the life of the AOD as much as possible. Besides, this will never be a manual car so it's future could only hold an SC AOD swap. I'm also kind of curious what kind of transmission fluid y'all recommend.
I think I may be keeping the dreaded 7.5 for a while. What would y'all suggest I do to keep it from popping? Pray?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #13
Do everything at once. It easier to swap everything over at one time than having to take the engine apart multiple times.

As for MAF just get the MAF meter and pigtail from a 5.0 Mustang at the junk yard. It's easy to wire into your harness. I did it ;)

The 7.5 will be fine behind the engine. I have a 7.5 with my engine and it's fine. I've even run it at the track with no problems.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Horsepower, Going H.O.

Reply #14
throw the biggest transmission cooler on there you can, and get a shift kit. The shift kit will get you move power to the ground and harder. might be alittle harder on the rear though. I would just drive it till it pukes and watch out for a cheap 8.8. Your on the right track. I would also look out for an AOD out of a mustang, or the SC, just in case.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com