Skip to main content
Topic: tire bead calamity (Read 4395 times) previous topic - next topic

tire bead calamity

ive got my hands on a set of american racing 8 hole rims.... all of them are on the bead except one it is the right size wheel and everything, i just don know how to pop the bead so i can air up the tire.... the inside is a we bit rusty, ive sed it down 5 or 6 times it just wont pop up.... any idea on how this can be made easier?

im to cheap to take them anywhere and i have a WEAK air compressor  :hick:

Re: tire bead calamity

Reply #1
Find some thing like a ratchet strap about 1 in wide wrap ir around the center of the tire and tighten it down. This should push the side walls out far enough to air them up. You could also try liquid soap on the bead.

Reply #2
are those the same rims that are in my profile perhaps?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
nah

Reply #4
TryTHIS ...lol
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
thats some funny stuff man!

Reply #6
Quote from: slamedcat
Find some thing like a ratchet strap about 1 in wide wrap ir around the center of the tire and tighten it down. This should push the side walls out far enough to air them up. You could also try liquid soap on the bead.

done it.....still wont go..... but, i wasnt realy focused today it might work better tommarow.......

Reply #7
Thats a good way to get yours self killed.

But  thats funny.

I worked in tire shops for years and everyone said people do that but I have never seen it work.

Reply #8
done it.....still wont go

Have you removed the valve core from the stem?

Reply #9
whoops no i didnt think of that :hick:

Reply #10
iv seen that done before a few times, spray some hairspray around the bead  and light it, the pressure difference cauzes it to bead itself instantly but its gotta be cold out.

Reply #11
theese are my new rims

Reply #12
those are the same rims in my picture.....check this one out, not a very good picture but yeah http://www.coolcats.net/photos/index.php?ID=94
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #13
yeah? i couldnt see 'em ,schweet, you wouldnt know where to get some center caps for them would ya?

Reply #14
no I only have two, also I have bent up my front one  :mad:  I have looked al over for them. I think that my best bet would be hubcap heaven. If I see some there when I go in a week or two, I'll see if I can get some extra if you want me to
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.