Skip to main content
Topic: 4k shutoff 2 (Read 3305 times) previous topic - next topic

4k shutoff 2

Reply #30
factory tach and autometer are both shaged up? we also have a digital timing light and it will also show 7000. he SHIFTS it at 6500 when he is racing. it pulls hard to 6000
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff 2

Reply #31
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;277205
so i'm keeping my stock heads. i'm getting a complete explorer 5.0 as soon as this engine lets loose anyways

Friend of mine used to have an electronics repair shop.
In that shop he had a sign.
That sign read:
"You can't fix stupid."

Now, in regards to your thread. If all you are doing is wasting time and money trying to blow up an SO by revving it past 4 grand, well you, my friend, have far more time than I do.

If you are trying to make more than 150 horsepower out of e6 heads, you are not only bored, but a little off, as well.
There IS a reason Mustangs got the E7 heads in 1987..because E6 heads SUCK! get it?

Unless you port the fothermuckers, put in bigger valves, and shag-all else, you're as good as pouring piss into a pop can.

Just get the explorer block, and leave the SO shiznit alone. There's a ed good reason we all yank them for an HO ya know! ;)

sorry if I cam across a bit harsh, but we're all tired of sayin the same ole shiznit 38 times in a row here....
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

4k shutoff 2

Reply #32
Hell I've done 188 in my '88, oh wait that's in kilometers... :flip:

'88 Mercury Cougar LS, 302, Project Car - "The Coug"
'83 Ford Thunderbird Heritage, 302, Summer Ride, - "The Bambi Killer"
'86 Chevrolet S10, Daily Driver -  "The Black Beater"

4k shutoff 2

Reply #33
188 km is over 110.

116.817mph to be exact

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff 2

Reply #34
they say that HO heads are only good for around 20hp.

besides, an 86 Mustang had e6's, why cant i run them for a month or two?

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff 2

Reply #35
and while the intake is off for the cam swap, i will probably do a little gasket matching. i know, most likely a waste of time, but it's free and can only help.

i already have an HO upper, 65mm TB, 19# injectors, cold air intake, stock mustang headers, gutted cats, no ler, and dumped before the axle.

i'm getting an HO computer from a buddy in a few days and am looking for an HO cam. brother is putting an F cam in his car so i'm getting his stocker unless i find one before then.

it should be said that we work on cars for a living. our shiznit is not junk like you guys seem to think it is. just because we do not go out and spend 10g's on our motors do not mean we cannot build fast cars. my brothers 88 mustang has a 70mm BBK TB/spacer, explorer intake, underdrives, mac headers, offroad h-pipe, flowmaster 40s dumped in front of the axle, and 3.55's.

the intake had some work done to it before it went on and the intake side of the heads had a little cleaning up while on the car.

it will flat out bury the 140mph speedometer, we have a few buddies with God only knows how much spent on their stangs and they cannot beat him off the line or top end

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff 2

Reply #36
#1 you have TOO much injector for the airflow, even with e7 heads, this will hold true UNLESS you go to the ho eec at the same time.

#2 none of us here give two shiznits what mustangs run blah blah.
none of them ever had an SO engine (well, from '87 on up)

#3 pretty much the extra 75 or so horsepower in an '87 and + HO is in the (are you following me?????) Heads/cam/injector, BUT, it takes a matching eec to maximize that power potential.

While I will  sure be quick to applaud you (or anyone else) for trying to make cheap power, doing it with e6 heads and 19# pound injectors is kinda..well, half-assed. On an otherwise stock SO block, just swapping to E7 heads alone will create a noticeable power increase.

This has been discussed, as V8Demon would say ad nauseum, but yet, the debate rages on....and on...and on.

The stock cam in  an SO engine is also a pos that isn't good for anything but low rpm power (if ya wanna call it that) and efficiency (sorta).

Yet, you can spin it over 4K...? :rollin:

A guy I work with has an '87 or so Caprice Wagon, with what he claimed was a Olds 350 Rocket under the hood...well, we pops the hood..and it looked like a sbc to me...so as they say, the proof is in the pudding ;)

BTW...I think my Caprice with a 4.3 V8 can outrun your 4K rpm Tbird... :flip:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

4k shutoff 2

Reply #37
i know it's to much injector and i *THINK* thats what is causing my 4k shutoff problem.

i like i said i'm just trying to get it to run right. i'm not worried about ungodly power at the moment. i am getting a complete explorer motor to swap in within the next month or two and will need the HO computer and cam at that point anyways.

i wish the video was still around but its gone. there was a video of my car running side by side with a kia of some sort (hard to believe i know, but they said it took like 10 miles for the kia to get up to that speed) at 140mph. kia had no more and the t-bird walked off like the kia. i have seen the video so i know it wasnt a "fish tale" as you guys like to call it.

this was before the previous owner installed the few HO parts that it does have now. now it wont rev over 4k.

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff 2

Reply #38
E7 heads will give maybe 20Hp over E6s... Cam, EEC, 19lb inj, 60mm T-body(SO are only 50mm) and a free flowing exhaust system are where the ponies are...

The E6 headed '86 HO was rated at 200Hp, but also used a SO upper and a slightly smaller 58mm throttle body than the '87-up... The '85 5 speed HO(210Hp) was basically the '87-up motor with a carb, used a E5AE head which for all practical purposes are same as E7TE on the later engines...

Dougie if you want help, stop the well my brother's did... We all know it ain't happening and if you come back once more with this shiznit, you'll be on my ignore list...

4k shutoff 2

Reply #39
I'm debating adding this to the Phale thread....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

4k shutoff 2

Reply #40
Quote from: V8Demon;277253
I'm debating adding this to the Phale thread....

Do it man, I have no idea how this is still active......:toilet:

4k shutoff 2

Reply #41
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;277236
i know it's to much injector and i *THINK* thats what is causing my 4k shutoff problem.

i like i said i'm just trying to get it to run right. i'm not worried about ungodly power at the moment. i am getting a complete explorer motor to swap in within the next month or two and will need the HO computer and cam at that point anyways.

i wish the video was still around but its gone. there was a video of my car running side by side with a kia of some sort (hard to believe i know, but they said it took like 10 miles for the kia to get up to that speed) at 140mph. kia had no more and the t-bird walked off like the kia. i have seen the video so i know it wasnt a "fish tale" as you guys like to call it.

this was before the previous owner installed the few HO parts that it does have now. now it wont rev over 4k.

Ok, first you want us to believe that you've got the world's fastest stock T-Bird, and now you're expecting us to believe that not only is yours the fastest in the world, but that you happened to match it up against the world's fastest Kia? 140MPH in a stock T-Bird (and yes, without the HO cam, heads and computer at the very least, your car is still "stock") is silly enough to expect people to believe, but 140 in a Kia is, well, fodder for streetkiaz.com.

If you saw an indicated 140 MPH in your T-Bird (or your brother's T-Bird, or whatever) and there was a Kia(!) beside you, I think I may have found your problem: Your speedometer is off by at least 30 MPH. And if you saw 6500 RPM in a stock T-Bird your tach is off by about 2k RPM. Even a new Mustang "only" peaks at 5750RPM (not sure what the redline is, but it'd only be a few hundred RPM more than that).

There are several very knowledgable people on here trying to tell you that you're not going to zing that engine to 6500 RPM and you're still insisting that you did before and asking why you can't now. 4000-4500 RPM is all you're going to get out of a non-HO engine. I don't know why you can't get it into your head that the redline of a non-HO engine is 4500 RPM. There's a reason Ford made that red mark on the tach. All of your valve gear is still stock, non-HO parts, so that factory redline would still apply to you.

...and with this we close another thread. You've gotten a few good leads (computer, injectors), but that's still not going to get you to 6500 RPM. If you're going to keep asking (and insisting you've achieved) the impossible and not accepting the answers you're getting there's no point in polluting the forum any further.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣