Skip to main content
Topic: 4k shutoff 2 (Read 3304 times) previous topic - next topic

4k shutoff 2

Reply #15
Well while while everyone is comparing the size of their dick...

I shot this one while backing out of my driveway(yeah I have a LOOOOONG driveway)...

4k shutoff 2

Reply #16
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;276853
so does anyone want to come to western ky and see whos t-bird is faster in drive?

*sigh*

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

4k shutoff 2

Reply #17
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

4k shutoff 2

Reply #18
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;277028
I will say this...

One night after work, I ran my white '88 Bird up to 127 coming down an on-ramp onto a 4 lane.

The speedo had the W2 mod, and it was a 3.8 car....as far as actually going that fast...who's to say.

I can concur. Before I did my 5.0 swap I was trying to chase down a guy in a TC so I could buy it. I was out on my local highway with my foot to the floor. I had the W2 mod done as well, and when I looked down it saw 126. I don't know if by that point the stock TC was letting off or topping out but I started to gain on him, not fast, but inches at a time. We eventually pulled over and he told me he just bought it, was simply going to beat the hell out of it and s it. I haven't seen it again, hope he didn't wreck it.

4k shutoff 2

Reply #19
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;277084

I shot this one while backing out of my driveway(yeah I have a LOOOOONG driveway)...

Backing out? No way! lol I have to call BS at 138 in Reverse. lol

4k shutoff 2

Reply #20
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;277016
my brother and i have been researching this all night and found a couple of websites that say 88 cougars run 125. we have almost come to the conclusion that these cars were never tested and that the 110 limit claim was put into place by Ford for insurance purposes. these cars will run over 110 if you have the testicular fortitude to do it.

Will 87's? lol

4k shutoff 2

Reply #21
Good god this is stupid. Banhammer, banhammer, banhammer!

4k shutoff 2

Reply #22
I've done 200+ with a JATO rocket bolted to the roof of my T-bird. I saw it on Mythbusters and figured what the hell :mullet:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

4k shutoff 2

Reply #23
Quote from: thunderjet302;277108
I've done 200+ with a JATO rocket bolted to the roof of my T-bird. I saw it on Mythbusters and figured what the hell :mullet:

hey i think i remember that episode... didnt it explode into a billion pieces as it hit the ramp or as they hit the fire button on the jato's?

wasnt it the myth where a guy put a jato on his car and the car supposedly flew off the road and decentegrated to almost nothing as it hit a mountain and they were trying to launch a rocket driven car off a ramp and try to hit a mountain?  although i sort of remember they just did a speed run with a jato type thing.

the best "JATO" thing ive seen was on top gear when they shot a mini cooper off a long jump ski ramp.  that was intense.. but the stig jumped the ramp with a snow mobil was even more crazy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

4k shutoff 2

Reply #24
Quote from: ~AC;277130
hey i think i remember that episode... didnt it explode into a billion pieces as it hit the ramp or as they hit the fire button on the jato's?

wasnt it the myth where a guy put a jato on his car and the car supposedly flew off the road and decentegrated to almost nothing as it hit a mountain and they were trying to launch a rocket driven car off a ramp and try to hit a mountain?  although i sort of remember they just did a speed run with a jato type thing.

Kinda. The first episode they did they bolted a JATO to the top of a 60's Impala. They didn't use a ramp but they got in up to about 250 mph on flat ground:hick: Later on they tried it again with a ramp and a much bigger rocket on a 60's Impala. That's when they blew up the car ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

4k shutoff 2

Reply #25
Quote from: jpc647;277096
Backing out? No way! lol I have to call BS at 138 in Reverse. lol

Yeah I lied, I was actually backing in my driveway... :D

Don't usually do that, it's kinda tricky to get parked straight when braking from that speed...

I believe the original story of the JATO Rocket Chevy was a fabrication... Was circulating on the I-net back when Al Gore first invented it...

4k shutoff 2

Reply #26
suposedly the whole rocket thing happened in my neck of the woods. My Dad told me the story when I was about 12. I'll have to ask him about it.

To the OP.....

I don't think you understand anything that anyone is trying to tell you. In order to give your car more power, you will need to improve airflow. These cars have 86 truck EFI parts. Trucks need torque down low so that they will be able to pull trailiers, hardly the thing you need to hit 110+ mph. I have had an 86 cougar over 100mph, and it is down right scary. I had the stock speedo with the W2 mod and had it read 134 mph. Just because it read this, dosen't mean that is what it did. I have driven my 87 bird at 55mph and had a "your speed is..." sign tell me I was doing 45mph, and the same month been driving in a 35mph zone and the sign told me I was doing 35. Either my speedo isn't reading right, or my wheels lost 12" worth of rubber off of the p195/60/R14's.

To make your car rev over 4k, put an H.O. cam in it. Put duel's on it, 2.5 inch or bigger, upgrade your intake and throw some gt40's on there because there the same price as e7's, and almost as avalible. Upgrade your computer and swap in 19lb injecters and an H.O cam. The stock S.O. motor can make power, if you take off all the parts that make it an S.O...
Including all the truck parts.

And BTW, the stock S.O. will not make any more power after 4k. It probably peaks near 2k if I recall correctly. If you don't belive me, hold your car is 1st next time you get on the freeway. My car will not neutral rev to 4k. I can actually start my car left in park, and floor it. According to my digital RPM gauge, its only hitting 3600. That is what 23 years and 147,000 miles does to a motor. I can barely spin my skinny tires in gravel and can't even power brake because my rear brakes are stronger then the engine.

Any by the way, there is no logical reason to be going over 100mph with suspension parts that haven't even been tightened in the last 20 years. The front ends of these cars get very light. You ECU "should" cut fuel at 6200 rpm. The stock digi dash will read redline over 5k if I remember right. I am going back about 6 years so I might be alittle off on that.

Take your tach off of the 4 cylinder setting.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

4k shutoff 2

Reply #27
Quote from: Haystack;277186
To make your car rev over 4k, put an H.O. cam in it. Put duel's on it, 2.5 inch or bigger, upgrade your intake and throw some gt40's on there because there the same price as e7's, and almost as avalible. Upgrade your computer and swap in 19lb injecters and an H.O cam. The stock S.O. motor can make power, if you take off all the parts that make it an S.O...
Including all the truck parts.

i'm putting an HO cam in it soon as well as an HO computer. coolcats says you do not HAVE to put e7's on to run the ho cam and computer so i'm keeping my stock heads. i'm getting a complete explorer 5.0 as soon as this engine lets loose anyways so i'm just trying to get it to run right.

And BTW, the stock S.O. will not make any more power after 4k. It probably peaks near 2k if I recall correctly. If you don't belive me, hold your car is 1st next time you get on the freeway. My car will not neutral rev to 4k. I can actually start my car left in park, and floor it. According to my digital RPM gauge, its only hitting 3600. That is what 23 years and 147,000 miles does to a motor. I can barely spin my skinny tires in gravel and can't even power brake because my rear brakes are stronger then the engine..

it will only turn 4k, no matter what gear. park, reverse, nuetral, OD, D, 1. does not matter.

Any by the way, there is no logical reason to be going over 100mph with suspension parts that haven't even been tightened in the last 20 years. The front ends of these cars get very light. You ECU "should" cut fuel at 6200 rpm. The stock digi dash will read redline over 5k if I remember right. I am going back about 6 years so I might be alittle off on that.

most everything under my car has been replaced within the last 100k. Mustangs are supposed to cut fuel at 6250 also, but my brothers 88 will turn 7k easily
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff 2

Reply #28
And yet the thread continues.....

4k shutoff 2

Reply #29
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;277205
Mustangs are supposed to cut fuel at 6250 also, but my brothers 88 will turn 7k easily

Either someone is lying or the tach is shaged up, it ain't happnin'... I've had three different Stang 'puters in this car and all have cut the fuel at 6250...