Skip to main content
Topic: Zero oil pressure (Read 3392 times) previous topic - next topic

Zero oil pressure

Reply #15
Well it will spin easy with no oil pressure... You sure the drive shaft from the dist is in place, or you you didn't forget to install the pump??? Did you prime the pump before it was installed??? They won't pump air...

If you have a tank you can put a couple quarts of oil and 20-30 lb of pressure into, you could likely re-lube the entire engine and maybe prime the pump... Connect it to the oil pressure sending unit port, and let it push oil back into engine and back down to the pump... Use thin oil like 5-20 so it will flow easily...

Zero oil pressure

Reply #16
Everything should be in place. Its a used engine that was pulled from a very reputable member of this board prior to him sping his car due to rust. The internals were oily so its not like it was all torn apart. The motor did sit on a stand for almost a year after I bought it from him.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Zero oil pressure

Reply #17
I had the shaft pull out of one when I pulled the dist and fall in the pan... Didn't know it till I started it up and it "raised Hell"... I inst another shaft leaving the first in the pan...

Zero oil pressure

Reply #18
It can't be that hard guys. When I built my last 2.3 I pull the gear off a spare dizzy. Stuck it in the hole and turned it with finger power. Made 10psi in just a few turns. Then if you really want to spin it you can rent a tool to turn the oil pump with a drill. 

Good luck
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Zero oil pressure

Reply #19
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;276607
I had the shaft pull out of one when I pulled the dist and fall in the pan... Didn't know it till I started it up and it "raised Hell"... I inst another shaft leaving the first in the pan...

So you were actually able to install the shaft through the distributor hole?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust

Zero oil pressure

Reply #20
Yup Think I used a 8mm socket, or maybe a rubber hose... Hell just super glue it into the bottom of the dist, won't hurt anything... Clean out all traces of oil with some brake clean or similar... Could also use a light coating of silicone, but that would have to set up a few hours....

Zero oil pressure

Reply #21
There should be a washer type thing on the Dizzy drive to hold it from falling out when you take the oil pump out. Might have to leave that off to sneak it by the aux shaft or pull the aux shaft.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Zero oil pressure

Reply #22
Ill check into it this weekend. But I dont recall anything being in the pan when I took it off so I doubt the shaft fell out.

What kind of pump could I hook to the sender to prime the engine with?

Zero oil pressure

Reply #23
Long Allen wrench a straight one. Insert in drill. Turn on drill just make sure you are you are gonna turn the right direction and pull the trigger. With the motor sitting for that time I wonder if the pump lost its prime?  Wonder if dumping oil down the dizzy hole would help prime it again.

Stuckman
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Zero oil pressure

Reply #24
Quote from: ipsd;276795
With the motor sitting for that time I wonder if the pump lost its prime?  Wonder if dumping oil down the dizzy hole would help prime it again.

Stuckman

Exactly what my dad said. First thing im gonna do is confirm that the shafts actually there, if it is ill drain the oil and dump it in the dizzy hole and try to turn the pump. I also would like to try pumping thru the sender fitting. If all that fails out it comes.

Zero oil pressure

Reply #25
The pump could care less if you dump oil or piss on it... If it's lost it's prime, you have to get oil inside, not on it...

Zero oil pressure

Reply #26
Makes sense, I think Ill take the feed line off the turbo and try to force oil through it.

Zero oil pressure

Reply #27
Welllll I pulled the distributor out and well well, no oil pump SHAFT. But, at the same time, I cant get an allen wrench in there. It just hits something. Could I have a broken shaft stuck in there? Tried to get a small magnet in there but nothing is coming out.

Zero oil pressure

Reply #28
Ummm I doubt it would be broken, likely tear the teeth off the dist or aux shaft before you break one of those little boogers...  Double check the shaft size on the bottom of the dist, I'm 99% they are 8mm...

Zero oil pressure

Reply #29
Quote from: bhazard;276154
Just hope the bottom end and turbo are okay. .

I now would be totally concerned about this.

it all depends on how much you have ran it.  with zero oil presure, the only lub everything in there has seen is the assembly lube you used.

You might as well tear it open and lay in new bearings everywhere including cam.  Rings are ok, cause they just get slung upon from the crank.  Lifters/push rods and rockers are prob ok but I would run rotella in there for the rest of its life.