Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone know nut size for studs to exhaust for mustang headers? (Read 5506 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone know nut size for studs to exhaust for mustang headers?

Anyone know nut size for studs to exhaust for mustang headers? I've tried 7/16 coarse thread and doesn't fit. Grabs a few threads and stops

Reply #1
I just used new header bolts.Nice and clean that way.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
I checked the set here at my shop and its 7/16x14, and thats what you tried.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #3
Yes, 7/16 -14 coarse and doesn't want to go up on. I've bead blasted them and everything so no dirt or grime in the threads either.
Well

Reply #4
Sounds like you need to tap the holes...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
I had  the exact same problem with mine, they would start, and then they would lock up.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #6
Run a die or a chaser over them.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #7
Long bolts and nuts work too ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
They're shallow threads in the factory nuts...that's how most of the Ford exhaust bolts I've ever run across have been.

Reply #9
IIRC  it is 7/16X20 going into the header  and the other end where the H pipe retaining nut threads on is 7/16 x 14.  I got some at ACE Hardware, but any good hardware with a fastener isle will have an exhaust stud drawer.

Reply #10
7/16-14 works fine now just needed to add anti seize to the studs and a bit of persuasion at the start and they spun right on with out a problem. X pipe is on:D