Skip to main content
Topic: Factory 5.0 Mustang header on 88 bird ? (Read 1038 times) previous topic - next topic

Factory 5.0 Mustang header on 88 bird ?

I'm in the process of updating the exhaust on my 88' 5.0 bird. I pulled all the stock junk off today. I'm installing stock mustang headers a UPR X pipe and 2 chamber flow masters on it.

Today I installed the factory 5.0 headers and they are awfully close to the motor mounts. Is the vibration of the motor going to cause alot of racket? Everything fits just fine it looks a bit close for comfort thought. Has anyone done this and not had to grind a portion of the brackets off?

Reply #1
mine has stang headers with wore out motor mounts and nothing hits...
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #2
When I *had* my car my drivers side header was actually touching the motor mount for a little while......no problems there
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #3
While the stock HO headers are better than the manifolds,their honestly not worth installing or the effort,as they are still restrictive.
Better to get a set of 150.00 ceramic coated no names off ebay.
That's what i'm using on my supercharged 5.0L and they look and work mint.
If the header is touching the mount it will cause a vibration,you will have to modifiy it.

Reply #4
I remember seeing a post that said using the mustang mounts and K frame was the way to go but I'm sure there must be a more effective way to use the factory stuff on the Bird/Cougar.
Pimp smacking smart azzes on the streets since 1970

Reply #5
I bought my 88 with 230,000 miles on it for $700 bucks for a dd I could have fun with and ride comfortably. I just want to improve the exhaust for better performance and sound so going from the stock tastic manifolds and exhaust to mustang shorties ( i picked those because I already had them and supposed to fit without issues) 2.5 inch upr x pipe and flows. Should be worth a few ponies and great sound. Not trying to break the bank with a t-bird. I'm replacing and repairing what's worn out and rotted out and driving it.

Near future updates will be a 3:27 8.8 out of Mark VII to replace factory 7.5 with L 2:73 (currently has bad axle bearing and leaking pinion seal what a mess).

Reply #6
I think mine were just almost touching on the (passenger?) side. I just stuck a little prybar in there and bent the "loop" that captures the "tab" to give about 1/2" clearance to the pipe, without completely exposing the tab. Can't remember about the other side.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #7
My BBK's fit perfectly,but,as stated right above this post,just bend the tabs a little.Muy other Bird and stock Mustang headershiznit the tab as well.The factory Stang headers are WAY better than the stock manifolds,especially if you're upgrading the rest of the exhaust.I like the BBK's,but,you'll feel a difference.Pics please.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
Quote from: MasterBlaster;276309
I think mine were just almost touching on the (passenger?) side. I just stuck a little prybar in there and bent the "loop" that captures the "tab" to give about 1/2" clearance to the pipe, without completely exposing the tab. Can't remember about the other side.

same here