Skip to main content
Topic: wierd noise from the rear (Read 1327 times) previous topic - next topic

wierd noise from the rear

i just went outside to move my car and when i turned the battery on,  I heard a wierd, and decently loud, noise from the back of the car, it sounded like it was coming from the driveshaft, and it sounded like the driveshaft was turning or something, it's hard to explain, any ideas? it also made the noise when the car was turned on

Reply #1
Fuel pump???
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
are fuel pumps in the back? oh wow i feel pretty stupid, (for future refferences i'm a complete noob at cars) but it's wierd because it's not usually that loud/ noticeable.

Reply #3
Sometimes when they are on their way out, they get loud. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
Mine has always been very loud. In fact, you could actually feel it. Been like that for 20 years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
You heard the noise when you turned the key on only????????? and then stops after about 3 seconds????

IF not,,,,,,,,,, please explain more detail.

if so,, yeah,, fuel pump.

It goes bad and will leave you sitting.

a really good piece of advice for you and do not ignore this..........

put a hammer in the trunk today.  when you do not hear that fuel pump kick on,, and the car does not start.............

get out
get your hammer
turn key on
beat on the tank the bottom center until you hear the pump prime

start car and get the pump replaced soon.

good pump is a 3.8L supercharge pump.  Pretty cheap and is much higher volume than stock.  fits perfect into the existing pump hanger assembly.

Reply #6
Why not just skip the hammer part and buy a new pump and put it in asap. Definately not something to ignore. Because when they go, they go!
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #7
because i dont know what the mans schedule is.  i present an option not many people know about which they wished they knew of.  I suggested the fuel pump to be replaced.

Im not sure what you point is.

Reply #8
Cassity,.... another thing that works quite well,.... is popping the trunk, and just giving it a two of three...... "persuasion" tapss....lol been going through this for a week with the ls,... and as i post this,...the tank is on the ground.........ill put up some pics after so this shaguar can get a hint as to whats to come.....
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #9
I got pics too if needed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
This is the tank out,.... the pump is all the way to the right with the two siver lines,..
[/IMG]
Watch out for the strap mounts,... they tand to rot quite easily from my own experience...
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Remember,.. that this is the LS.. not my xr7,.... my undercarrage is not nearly as gone as this one.......one thing i forgot.........was to snap pics of the actuall pump....sorry it slipped my mind...
OOHHHH DAMINC>>>>>>>>>im sure you can russel up some shots.........
[/IMG]

Reply #11
This is the actual pump... (out of the siver housing with the two silver lines) Its about $75 bucks........
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Hope this helps
[/IMG]